Robert Sanderson takes Hurries to the desert

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That explanation works for me too Kevin as I've known it happen many times here!! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Anyone have an idea on why there are two AFCAD files in the Hurricane Addon Scenery folder - AF2_RAF.bgl and AF2_RAF2,bgl? The files appear to be identical, and I am aware that duplicate AFCADs could cause problems.

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

All,

Please ignore my suggested FDE modification above.

There appears now to be no problem with the original flight model.

I'm now genuinely puzzled: I reloaded the Hurricane IId from the zipped file and it now does not have the pitch oscillation fault which was evident yesterday. Further, even though I backed-up the files which had the trouble, they do not exhibit any fault either.

Yesterday, this was not a fault on a single flight, but manifested itself for at least three hours, on dozens of flights on two FS installations (FS9 and Golden Wings), although on the same PC. After finding the FDE mod I suggested (the wing area change), I incorporated it and reversed it several times to be sure that it was the cause. The sim showed the fault with the original value, and no-fault with the changed value. That was when I posted yesterday.

Now there is no evidence of any fault, and I withdraw my modification, with apologies to all.

I can only assume that it was related in some way to the PC, but I really don't know. I can say that the PC wasn't switched off in between tries, so all the testing was done in a single session.

I'm reminded of the (paraphrased) quote from one of the great physicists (Niels Bohr, I think, originally talking of the Universe):

"FS9 is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we CAN imagine!"

Dave,

I've had a very long, detailed and courteous reply from Robert Sanderson in which he confirms his new wing area value as correct as uploaded. As you suggested, it was chosen deliberately, together with other compensating shifts, to induce particular improvements in performance accuracy.

Cheers,

Kevin

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well Kevin.. I'm beggered. :shock:

Your paraphrase of that quote does seem to fit the bill exactly though :lol:

Thanks for your efforts and explanation of the disappearing fault/response from Robert :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

PeteH
Viscount
Viscount

Post by PeteH »

Kevin,

I had exactly the same oscillation problem that you describe when I first installed this aircraft yesterday. Tried it again this morning and the problem appears to have vanished! Very odd.

BTW has anyone noticed how the ariel wire flexes and vibrates as power and speed increase. Can't recall seeing that effect before.

All in all an excellent rendition.

Pete
Thinking does not necessarily make it so.

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

I downloaded it and have to say I really like it, thats one fs plane thats got a safe spot in My hanger now.

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

This is magnificent! :dance: Only one problem : my "CR42 " like computer has been almost immediately killed by this Hurri FPS :shock: :dunno:

From VC view and outside view it runs at 6/7. My ol' pc (512 RAM, 1400 Athlon) cannot support it, I should use the Hurry only for IFR flights ( :worried: :worried: ) and no acro at all.

One question : why planes quite complicated in both textures and model (like the Ollsen Sabre or the Shupe C-45 ) don't "eat" at all? l

I will see the Hurricane fly from the ground but :doh: what a shame!

Thanx to Mr. Sanderson, in any case.

Roger
Comet
Comet

Post by Roger »

kikko wrote:This is magnificent! :dance: Only one problem : my "CR42 " like computer has been almost immediately killed by this Hurri FPS :shock: :dunno:

From VC view and outside view it runs at 6/7. My ol' pc (512 RAM, 1400 Athlon) cannot support it, I should use the Hurry only for IFR flights ( :worried: :worried: ) and no acro at all.

One question : why planes quite complicated in both textures and model (like the Ollsen Sabre or the Shupe C-45 ) don't "eat" at all? l

I will see the Hurricane fly from the ground but :doh: what a shame!

Thanx to Mr. Sanderson, in any case.

I ran my Hurri texture folder through a dxt3 converter (imagetool and a bat file) and this makes some difference.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

nigelb wrote:Anyone have an idea on why there are two AFCAD files in the Hurricane Addon Scenery folder - AF2_RAF.bgl and AF2_RAF2,bgl? The files appear to be identical, and I am aware that duplicate AFCADs could cause problems.
I emailed Robert and confirmed with him that the AF2_RAF2.bgl file is an inadvertant duplicate. While it does not appear to do any harm, it can be safely removed.

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

Except for the low FPS , I did a careful test flight yesterday night and I must confirm that at airspeed over 220 knots the plane has strong pitch-up/pitchdown problems. I disinstalled it and reinstalled ,as suggested, but the problem remains inaltered. :think: