Pilots Notes Avro York

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paule
Comet
Comet

Pilots Notes Avro York

Post by Paule »

I have a query for ex RAF Pilots. Can you explain this:
"Check List for Take Off. Elevator trim tabs; set 1 division tail heavy trim".

Earlier in the notes is a reference that trim controls operate in the natural sense. So does the above mean compensate for a heavy tail, or make the tail heavier?

Expect hundreds of replies from thousands of Avro York pilots!

Paul

ps this for the fde on Avro York that Manfred Jahn is modeling - later, there may be a freeware Lancastrian as we have PNs for this as well.

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

Hi Paul,

Will you accept the opinion of the son of a York pilot? :smile:

Based on the (later) RAF PNs I have seen, I would think it means set one division of nose-up trim.

Regards,

Brian

Paule
Comet
Comet

Pilots Notes Avro York

Post by Paule »

Brian

Your reputation goes before you. I was hoping you would'nt say that as I am already struggling to get the tail up and the PNs don't say anything about applying forward pressure on the stick.

*ugger

Paul

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

Hi Paul,

Sorry about that :sad:

I have found that the placing of the CofG relative to the main wheel contact points can be critical when it comes to getting the tail up. In my experience, it becomes a juggling act with the centre of lift, CofG, and brake strength to get the tail up without causing the aircraft to stand on its nose under braking. I suspect the York will be worse than most because of the load variations that are possible and, hence, the rather variable CofG position.

Good luck :smile:

Brian

Paule
Comet
Comet

Pilots Notes Avro York

Post by Paule »

Brian

Yup, have been throught the "I can stand on my nose" phase. Keep re-balancing, take off looks OK but the speeds are still a bit too high. Thinking maybe I should try tweaking the Lift due to H Tail section.

Cheers

Paul

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

This is more complex than FS 9 perhaps allows for. bear in mind with the York that as power is increased, there will be an inevitable pitch down tendency because, with the high wing , the thrust line is higher than the c.g.
This may be the reason for little if any forward column being required to raise the tail, because the high thrust line will tend to raise the tail in any case. However, what is usually required in any tailwheel a/c is some forward column at perhaps 30 - 40 kts( because at low speed the elevators will be much less effective quite a coarse initial movement will be required) with the column returned to a just aft of central position once the tail is up

After landing the standard procedure under braking is full aft stick once the tail is down , except in the rare event of a downwind landing when even under braking a forward column position may be advisable

Chris

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

I had a chat with my father, who flew Yorks in 1946/7, and he said that the control column was "eased" forward to get the tail up on take-off.

ATB,

Brian

Paule
Comet
Comet

Pilots Notes Avro York

Post by Paule »

Thank you Chris and Brian. Very useful; just have to continue with my juggling of balance and thrust lines.

Paul