What do you think?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Do you think the new FS should have ATC accents?

Yes, it would be a wonderful edition
96%
No, ATC should be left alone
4%

Total votes: 27

Jester
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Jester »

Hi all,

It's all good and well to say "... why not add accents ...", but which accents should get added?

British? Scottish? Irish? German? Italian? French? Spanish? South African? Australian? (and the list goes on and on and on ....)

What effect will this have on the size of an already bloated application?

Gerry-F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Gerry-F »

I dont think you need to have all those, I think Some British accents for the European flights, American for all the US flights, and some orient for the far East flights, that would add a little more variation without going over the top. :smt102
Regards Gerry

deltafan
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

accents

Post by deltafan »

All accents would be nice. If they were to make new kinds of sound files, sound file smaller than .WAV files, it might not be too bad.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I see where you are coming from Jester and deciding on which to include is not easy. However, I have an old program here released for FS2000 that included 40 different voice sets... enough for most of us I think :D

The prog was made by AETI and was called ProFlight2000. It was I believe updated for 2002 but I've never spoken to anyone who had any success with the upgrade. The original had the ability to compile a flightplan and add airlines as necessary. On a flight from say UK to Turin, you would hear British accents, French accents and Italian accents for ATC and the soundsets included Spanish, Asian, Australian, and German to name but a few. It was quite simply the 'Doggies' and probably still IS on FS2000. By comparison, the all-singing, all-dancing version we now have as standard in 2004 is quite simply not in the same league.

If it could be done then... surely M$ have the tech to do it now :?

DaveB :smt025
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I would think M$ could set up default accents on a per continent basis and leave the system open enough so that the flightsim community can create more. They should also be able to allow different liveries to use different voice/accent sets so you could hear british accent VC10 pilots at the same time as local accent ATC.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Jester
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Jester »

It's not M$ technology that I'm worried about, as there is already a VoicePack SDK available on the MSFS website (http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsi ... ds_sdk.asp).

It's just a question of how much more of my hard drive will they want?