Marathon task completed and released

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: feathering

Post by nigelb »

tekman wrote::smile: Now that I’ve had time to recover I’ve put my brain into gear and perhaps I may be able to clear up any confusion for you Nigel re: feathering issue

FACT

1: The Marathon 1/1A/T11 is equipped with D.H. Hydromatic Constant speed fully feathering airscrews

2: The purpose of being able to feather an airscrew is to provide a neutral thrust to prevent windmilling in the event of an engine failure. Therefore if the airscrews are feathered when the aircraft is on the ground they will provide no thrust whatsoever.

SUGGESTION :smile:

Insofar as Flight Sim is concerned when Taxiing/flying the Marathon or any other similarly equipped aircraft, I would suggest de-feathering before attempting to move and thereby getting maximum performance from your efforts

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: feathering

Post by nigelb »

tekman wrote::smile: Now that I’ve had time to recover I’ve put my brain into gear and perhaps I may be able to clear up any confusion for you Nigel re: feathering issue

FACT

1: The Marathon 1/1A/T11 is equipped with D.H. Hydromatic Constant speed fully feathering airscrews

2: The purpose of being able to feather an airscrew is to provide a neutral thrust to prevent windmilling in the event of an engine failure. Therefore if the airscrews are feathered when the aircraft is on the ground they will provide no thrust whatsoever.

SUGGESTION :smile:

Insofar as Flight Sim is concerned when Taxiing/flying the Marathon or any other similarly equipped aircraft, I would suggest de-feathering before attempting to move and thereby getting maximum performance from your efforts
Hmmm, I thought I tried that but maybe not. :redface: I will give it another go. Since I like to start from cold and dark, I shut down the engines and I pushed the feather buttons and waited for them to go from bright red to dull red, which I assumed was the de-feathered position. If this is not the case, how does one de-feather?

As for the autopilot issue I added the one from the Anson, but that is my preference. At least it's not from an Airbus!

I must say I agree with your comment about the way she flies - she is well-behaved and you are right - you don't really need the autopilot. In other words, great job on the flight dynamics!

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Well, Well, Well! Talk about red-faced. :redface: I am such a fool.

I just discoverd there is a click area above the red lights on the feather panel that allows you to de-feather! I had not noticed that before, or more likely had not "moused" about enough. Anyway, I am now a very happy camper. As I said before, I really like this old girl!