Wessex Latest

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Wessex Latest

Post by Brian Franklin »

Here's the latest saga of the Wessex development.

The aircraft was originally created in FSDS2. The reason for that is because one of my pet hates is the compilation time taken by FSDS3, so I normally transfer the aircraft to FSDS3 at the VC or final stages of the development.

With the Wessex however I have hit upon a series of problems with this culminating in the failure to transfer the rotors & their textures in a workable form :

As you can see it's not a pretty sight. Yes I know FSDS3/MakeMDL does things differently. I have read up on all available info (and there is a lot) about how to ensure prop & rotor textures are displayed correctly. It actually seems as though very few people are really sure of the correct procedure. I went through this learning curve on the Tucano but all the principles I picked up on there seem to have no effect here.. So, this leaves me with few options.

1. Throw all my toys in the air and scrap the project, well after this many hours put into it there's not much chance of that.

2. Wait until (if ever I resolve the problem) in FSDS3 and release then. Might be a long time boys!

3. Finish phase one in FSDS2 and release package without clickable VC. Re-visiting when rotor problems are resolved. Not the end of the world and after consultation with a few close friends this is what I going to do. So sorry clicky finger fiends, the Wessex will be a joystick/keyboard controlled aircraft at least at first.

As a comparison here is the same shot using the FSDS2 aircraft.

Brian

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Good for you Brian, she is looking right on the money, bring it on !!

merlin101
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by merlin101 »

those rotor fixes look better every time!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Strangely the lack of clicky VC is not putting me off! :wink: Does this mean that a release date is near Brian? And will this be Mk 2 only, or some of the other 'flavours' as well?

Thanks

AndyG

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Andy, the first batch will be HC2 in 3 flavours and HAR2.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Wow, quick response. :smile: Thanks Brian, looking forward to seeing them.

AndyG

CurlSnout
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by CurlSnout »

Lack of a clickable VC doesn't bother me in the least. The model appears OUTSTANDING and I'm looking forward to seeing it inside my sim (soon?).

In any case, THANK YOU for your hard work and willingness to share. And congratulations on a job well done.

Hi-Ho,

cs

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

Id be happy with it as it is, looks wonderful Brian!

JimCooper
Lightning
Lightning

Post by JimCooper »

Brian,

This Wessex is a piece of Magic. I can't stop flying it. I've let 2 ex-Wessex boys have a go and a Chinnok guy and they love it. Don't give up on it. Once you release this and word gets around you're gonna hit the top of the download list!! E-mail me or PM me about radio fit and I'll have the Panels finished by the weekend

Regards

Jim

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

I'll add my name to the list of those not bothered about clickable VCs! Looks like a quality piece of kit as it is, and as you say, you can work on getting it to work in FSDS3 in the mean time, then perhaps release an update later on. :smile: