BAC 510ED AP problem

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

BAC 510ED AP problem

Post by Nigel H-J »

Dave, either 2 will do - or anyone else for that matter....I'm not fussy!! :wink:

Thoroughly enjoy flying the BAC 510ED though I have had a problem with the AP for some time now.

When switching from manual to AP in the climb the aircraft maintains the initial rate of climb however, when at altitude and either selecting a higher or lower level using the 'Aquired Altitude' set in the AP window the aircraft just carries on like a disobedient puppy!!

Even when manually using the pitch control to ascend or descend it requires a lot of input on the wheel, then the aircraft suddenly pitches up or down and returns to level flight when the wheel is released.

Have not had any problems with the older version of the AP on the 1-11s' or the Trident. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, any ideas how to rectify this as I find myself having to disconnect the AP every time I need to change altitude.

Many thanks in advance.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

BAC510ED AP Problem

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Nigel
Not had any similar problems.Like you I really enjoy the 1-11.Sorry I can't help.ATB EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Nigel,
MALTBY D wrote:What a difficult question.

After a quick refresher, there is MAN mode & then there is 'MAN' mode.
It's a right load of old rubbish. I'll try to explain it better:-

First thing - Whenever the Auto Pilot is engaged, it always has full control of pitch & roll, the pilot never has any control through the yoke.
MAN mode simply refers to either the pitch or roll being altered through manual intervention rather than the A/P doing it automatically.

The Automatic pitch modes are 'Alt Hold' & 'G/S Auto' (and 'IAS' on the 1-11 510ED).
So the Manual pitch thumb wheels are always active except for when the A/P is using any of these automatic modes.

Similar for roll, the automatic modes are 'HDG', 'VOR/LOC' & 'G/S Auto'.
Selecting 'MAN' on the rotary switch only means that the Manual 'TURN' knob is in use for roll.

Slightly different on the 1-11 510ED - The pitch wheel only operates in 'Height Acquire' mode & there is no MANUAL TURN mode at all.

DM
(From another thread here http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsimv5/cbfsbb/v ... =autopilot )

Hope that sorts you out.

Rgds

John

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

The pitch wheel only operates in 'Height Acquire' mode
Thanks John........I may be a bit fik but............The pitch wheel when I try to use it in Height Acquire mode doesn't appear to function, or is it just me!!?

Regards Nigel.

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Hi Nigel

I don't normally do much adjusting of flight level once I'm up, so I've just had a test & it worked better than expected. :wink:

I'm wondering if you're using a repaint & haven't got the aircraft.cfg settings that the 510ED needs.
Check your aircraft.cfg autopilot section, the red bit is unusual but important to the function of the 510 A/P. There are some other small differences in this section from the regular 1-11, these are for the 510's auto land.

[autopilot]
autopilot_available=1
flight_director_available=1
default_vertical_speed=1.000000
autothrottle_available=1
autothrottle_arming_required=1
autothrottle_takeoff_ga=1
autothrottle_max_rpm=95.000000
pitch_takeoff_ga=8.000000
USE_NO_DEFAULT_PITCH=1
USE_NO_DEFAULT_BANK=1
default_pitch_mode=0
default_bank_mode=0
max_pitch=10.000000
max_pitch_acceleration=1.000000
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=2.000000
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=1.500000
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.000000
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.000000
max_bank=25.000000
max_bank_acceleration=1.800000
max_bank_velocity=3.000000
max_throttle_rate=0.100000
nav_proportional_control=15.000000
nav_integrator_control=0.250000
nav_derivative_control=0.000000
nav_integrator_boundary=2.500000
nav_derivative_boundary=0.000000
gs_proportional_control=12.520000
gs_integrator_control=0.260000
gs_derivative_control=0.000000
gs_integrator_boundary=0.700000
gs_derivative_boundary=0.000000
yaw_damper_gain=1.000000

This is how it's supposed to behave.
It holds the current vertical speed when A/P is engaged.
Alt Lock then obviously alters VS to zero & holds current altitude.
With Alt Lock engaged, you can dial in a new target altitude & when you switch to Alt Acquire you then need to use the pitch wheel to adjust VS to get there.

If the altitude difference is only small, FS will usually aquire the new height automatically even though I'm telling it not to in the XML code!
That's why I said the test worked better than expected, in jumps of 1000ft it was correctly waiting for me to set the VS with the pitch wheel. It acquires a 500ft FL difference itself for some reason. :think:

DM
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Dave, took another test flight this afternoon, AP now working OK.

Many thanks again.

Regards

Nigel.

Fortiesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Fortiesman »

Hello all - this is my first post here and I have to say that i have just discovered these wonderful British airliners.
Mr Maltby and co. have made terrific jobs of creating these planes.
I am just getting into these civilian planes , being mainly until now a combat man, and i didn't realize just how much there is to learn.
I can fly the FS Boeing 737 and 747 in flight planner using the IFR and the auto pilot on the Boeings. in a basic manner.

I tried to do the same with this 1-11, but, of course, I came unstuck.
The above reply of Mr Maltby's to Nigel will probably mean i can achieve the correct altitude , but i haven't a clue how to set the auto pilot for the Heading.
Where is the instrument I click on to input the heading i want the plane to turn to ( when ATC tells me the new heading ), please?

I use trackir and the VC is a wonderful creation, but his vital instrument doesn't sem to be there! - It's no doubt me being as blind as a bat -lol

Your help would be appreciated

thanx

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Fortiesman

Welcome to the forum

You should have a lot of fun with these.

Are you flying the 510 panel or the other versions

Look for the compass on the normal panel it is down and on the left

There is a bug on the side to set the heading.

Not sure of the same position on the 510 as I've not seen the panel

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Fortiesman and welcome :smile:

Whether flying the 510's or the other versions.. the HDG control is the same as in Garry's shot above, regardless of the instrument used. RH side is HDG.. LH side is Course :wink: There is no HDG hold as such on the 510 panel.. as soon as the AP is engaged, it will fly the HDG selected on the HSI so.. turning the RH control, set yourself up to the desired HDG before you engage the AP then make heading changes with that control as necessary :wink:

Glad you're enjoying the old girl :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi,

Don't forget the 510 has similar instrumentation as per the Trident so you have the Azimuth Master to the top/left of that instrument for HDG or VOR/ILS hold:

See 'Azimuth Master' here : http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/html/Trident/Manual_AP.htm

and basic info on HSI here :
http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/html/Tride ... l_MAIN.htm

Rgds

John