Kinloss Crew

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Kinloss Crew

Post by ukmil »

with the impending release of the Mr2 version of the Nimrod, we at UKMIL have decided to release a version of XV230

for those who are unaware, this is the airframe that was lost in 2006 with the loss of 14 servicemen's lives, whilst on active duty in the gulf.

To this end, we have added some special decals to the paint.

it will carry the website address for the British Legion poppy appeal on the nose, on both sides

it will carry the Logo on the tail section

and in the pannier bay, it will look full of poppies

We will also include in the pack, full details of the http://www.poppy.org.uk webiste, and we will URGE every person who uses, and enjoy's this Mr2 package, to go to the website, and donate at least 1 pound. Judging by the R1 release, we currently stand at around 2000 downloads, so that would be a great help to the appeal.

We will also contact the RBL to ask for their permission to carry the logo's and we will contact the powers that be at Kinloss for their agreement.

PLEASE GIVE TO THE POPPY APPEAL TO HELP WHERE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

UK Mill,

That is, to all intents and purposes, a wonderful idea but..............the thought of actually flying the Nimrod that was tragically lost along with the lives of the crew, (even though it is only a repaint version of it) does not somehow, to me at least, feel right.

This is only my personal view, and I hope that it does not cause you or anyone for that matter, any offence. (I am old fashioned in my beliefs).

Purely out of respect of the deceased crew and their families, It would be wrong for me to fly it as it would feel disrespectful, just as though I had purchased a car from a scrapyard that some-one had lost their life in, repaired it, only to drive around the area of where that person lived.

I feel that in many ways it would be much better to ask every-one who wished to down load this remarkable aircraft to make a donation instead.

Again, I must emphasis that although the idea of donations is wonderful idea, I personally would not feel happy flying an aircraft that was marked up as one that had killed so many and again apologise should my post cause you or anyone, any offence.

Kind regards

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I think it's a wonderful idea to use this to advertise the poppy appeal Dave. It's certainly a worthy cause.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I love the idea and the sentiment but have to agree with Nigel as to actually downloading and flying it. We have a number of aircraft on our VA fleet which ended up in very sad circumstances in real life and are represented due to variations of livery and silly as it may seem, I find I can't bring myself to fly them.

I applaud the idea behind the release and wish the team every success as the cause is a very worthy one :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Tend to agree Dave.. I remember objecting to the VA using either G-ARPI or G-AWZT... not sure if either ever made it onto the fleet?

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

I agree to Dave, it's a wonderful idea to raise money for such a cause but I don't think I would be comfortable in that airframe either.

Brian

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

ok, ahving spent most of the day, reading various forums posts, it is a complte 50/50 split over this idea, so We will NOT be doing this as the standard skin, in the pack, but will allow it to be downloaded as an add-on skin, for anyone who wishes to use it, and donate to the poppy appeal

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Like others I share the lack of enthusiasm for aircraft involved in such circumstances, while fully supporting the sentiment, so might it be more acceptable for the poppy aircraft to simply be without identifying markings?

For that matter I cannot fly anything with a Rising Sun on it and could never understand the popularity of a game playing a U-boat commander in the North Atlantic - but that is down to family history.

When you do issue the 230 coded aircraft - is the serial cut short on the fuselage?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think the poppy appeal is a great idea, just the serial in question may cause an issue. I was at the Leuchar airshow last year when the nimrod made a single fly past and thought it was very poigniant.

Would it be possible to put a donationware wrapper on the pack, with some information about the reasons behind it, without actually including that serial?

Just a thought. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage