Which ugly british aircraft should I make?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Which aircraft should be made

Poll ended at 22 Mar 2005, 13:46

Bristol freighter
18%
Carvair
14%
Shackelton
No votes
York
31%
Anson
2%
Lightning F6
4%
Nimrod
6%
Victor
8%
Canberra
16%

Total votes: 49

Boeing464
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Boeing464 »

Ok.... Here are the only airframes that I know of:

RB-36H 51-13730 at Castle AFB Museum in Atwater, CA
B-36J-65-CF 52-2220 at the USAF Museum
B-36J-111, 52-2217A at the SAC Museum
B-36J 52-2282A, the one that has been restored in Ft. Worth

The disassembled RB-36E(YB-36) at late Walter Soplata's farm in OH. It was very bad even in the 80s, apparently. I know the fuselage is not much more than a shell, but I have no idea what the rest of it's like.

This is what it looked like before it was disassembled:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/231921/L/

Plus the XC-99 and several crashed airframes in Canada.

Are we talking about the same type of aircraft, Chris? I wouldn't expect anyone to get the 4 J-47s running, but even just the 6 R-4360s would be a huge PITA to keep running. Where do you get spares? A B-36 is a big step in size and complexity from a B-29. That said, not much else would make me as happy as seeing a B-36 flying again would.
Christopher Hill
painter/modeler of sorts
Student pilot-KLGB
Model 464 = B-52

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Yes, we're talking about the B-36.

Maybe it's the XC-99 they're in talks about because every time it's been referenced by the guys at Midland, it's "the bird at Kelly" (had to look up my last chat with them) that they're trying to get.

It's also possible that they may enter an agreement with the Air Museum to put that one into fully flyable condition as a joint venture between the two groups. I believe there may be another frame or two out at Davis-Monthan AFB that were never fully broken up becuase I'd heard rumors of that being a location for spares and such for any flying restoration.

Boeing464
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Boeing464 »

Well the XC-99 is on it's way to the USAF Museum. :? The XC-99 was grounded with fatigue. It was fixable, but the USAF didn't want to bother. I too have heard rumors of stuff at Davis-Monthan, but I doubt that there's much left. Any material would be in one of the surrounding scrap yards i think. There were apparently a few wing sections in NM as well, but that's a vague memory.
Christopher Hill
painter/modeler of sorts
Student pilot-KLGB
Model 464 = B-52