Bristol 171 Sycamore in the works

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Bristol 171 Sycamore in the works

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Trev

FSX does utilise multi core Processors.

uses all 4 of my cores fine but only SP2 does this i think.

or have i missunderstood ?.

Rick

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

tonymadge wrote: I hate MS for bringing out FSX with out making it work with FS9 add-ons like FSNAV and simple things like "go to previous flight" Yes they added lots of nice things and improved a lot, but its the basics that it lacks that frustrate me. Like not being able to use two monitors in full screen, also the wobbly effect in VC on outside textures..
Well, it is to do with the new team that took over FS developement...In the past they always left the F9 key for Helge's FSNav and it was obvious that the new team didn't even know about FSNav when they used the F9 key. The whole keyboard input was trampled on and basically broken without respect for previous versions' carefully thought out keyboard. Just reversing the direction of the S key movement in the views from SHIFT+S to go from 2D to spot and S to go back into 2D cockpit to vica-versa was sufficiently infuriating for me to quickly tire of FSX and the two monitor business that you mention was just written off right at the start. I would not be at all surprised if the "Aces" team gets many new, and loses many old members before FS11 comes out and everything is trampled over again. I'm afraid Helge will never write new code for FSNav so I'm very happy to still have his final FS9 version working for me so efficiently. I have also noticed that his code working speed has increased dramatically with Nvidia Driver progression and is very quick indeed with the drivers I use.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Rick Piper wrote:and no problem with the beta shots Peter.
Thanks Rick...To be quite honest, your Sycamore is the only helicopter that I can fly with reasonable precision and as it is the only helicopter that I have flown in real life, I am very attached to it. I do have other helicopters in my system (some payware) but generally when I fly them and discover that I can't fly them as well as I fly yours, then I tend to leave them in the hangar. :)

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

FSX does utilise multi core Processors.

uses all 4 of my cores fine but only SP2 does this i think.

or have i missunderstood ?.
You are correct Rick, I upgraded in November 2006, at that time MS said it would be for single core chips, when it ran like an overstuffed elephant and everybody said why is it rubbish on my 'top of the range' multi core based PC' they re-wrote the engine coding (SP1 or SP2) to utilise what was becoming the 'standard' processor. It would have cost me 30 quid to go multicore at the time, now it will be about 100 for a whole new chip. The choice of MB might have been different too! :'(
ATB Trev

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I run a single core as per my specs below and its fine for me :)
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

youngharry
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by youngharry »

'Morning people; I will add my two bits to the 'Sycamore' project.
There is no way that I will ever be able to duplicate all the personal and important scenery in FSX that I have in FS9. The reasons are many and complicated so let's move on.
Most of my indulgent memories are based on the aircraft and situations I experienced during my time in the Australian Naval Fleet Air Arm and FSX cannot emulate these at the moment.
Anything is possible, given time but I probably do not have that much left. I have never understood why Rick gave things away for free when inferior products were sold. Mind you, I was not complaining --- just did not understand why.
Since I really do not have access to a productive FSX, I would have no hesitation in purchasing a Beta Sycamore for FS9.
Is there one available?

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

I have recently been workinbg on the Sycamore

currently waiting to find an intact HR.Mk14 that has not had 99% of it's interior removed like all the ones i have visited

not easy to finish an accurate VC when the real ones are just empty shells

this hopefully will be available from SkySim when i finish it.

FSX Full SP2a standard.

I know that makes me a lot of enemies but it's far too complex to build stuff for both sims and not end up with a compromise
with low functionality.

Rick

working winch system for rescues and load carrying

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

She looks realy well Rick. :thumbsup: :dancer:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

more pics of current progress

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

That looks absolutely superb, Rick, from the model to the payloads and rescue activity. :thumbsup:

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com