de Havilland DH114 Heron

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: de Havilland DH114 Heron

Post by simondix »

Well as I fly FS9 for my retro stuff it will suit me. Looking forward to it. Also thanks for all the hard work done on it.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi TM :hello:

Yes.. well it is of sorts I guess :lol:

I think I've posted project updates before so I won't bore the world with the complete story again but basically.. the majority of us here consider it good to go in it's current form. Derek himself may feel there are rivets missing but all modellers are like this :lol: I tried to ressurect the project 2 years ago and made new FD for both versions (Srs1 and Srs2) from scratch with help from the boys along the way. When I could do no more.. all the constituent parts were sent to Fraser (who made the panel) for finalisation and that is where it is. I don't think the external model has changed since 2008 so you can see that when I tried to jildy it on in 2011.. it was already past it's release date! That's not strictly true. Derek wasn't happy with the FD so in 2011, I bought Airwrench (for what good it did me) and remade them both from scratch.
As mentioned above, I'd done all I could do and while the end result is far from 'RealAir'.. it's functional. I'd have been happy for it to go in 2011 but Fraser said the panel would need to be tweeked a little to match the airfile so the bits went to him.

Derek popped up to say hello recently and commented that perhaps the Heron should be given away to be 'finished'.. offered out if you will hence my comment to Rui that the Heron project had been discussed recently. As far as I'm concerned.. it was as ready as it was ever going to be 2 years ago. I'm still waiting for the finished panel cab to return :cpu: I don't know what he did with it.. if it was ever 'finalised' or simply put in the bin :dunno: I've hoped he'd pop up and say something but the silence has been deafening.

No 'tut tut's or pointing fingers. This is where the Heron is. It can go now with a panel that doesn't quite fit the 'new' engine parameters (I can't remember what discrepancies there might be.. it's been too long) or it can go with the gauges tweeked.. which it can't as we don't have the tweeked gauges. Either way, it can't really go without Frasers say so unless it goes without a panel which isn't going to happen. Catch22 *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

We'll just have to continue waiting patiently Dave.After all, as with all models available here,it is freeware and dependent upon the dedication of all those involved. :agree: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Thanks for the update Dave :)
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Hi Guys :)

I honestly had no idea that this project was waiting for me; I've just checked what files I have and the latest are in excess of two years old. My understanding was that work was still required on other parts and I suspect that given the number of stalls on this and other projects (through not through the fault of any individuals) I took the view that there was no point in me getting up to speed again only for the project to be laid up again for some time. It may be just my limitations, but I find it extremely difficult to learn, re-learn and re-learn again, not to mention reverse engineer my own programming, to successfully recreate the idiosynchrasies of the systems of these aeroplanes due to repeated and extended periods of inactivity (again, I stress, through no fault of anyone in particular).

It is now approaching a year since I have done any development work, and have found other ways of occupying my spare time. I'm more than happy for any of my Heron work to be used , modified or whatever, in any general release. While I'll continue to tinker if the fancy takes me, my development days on public projects are now at an end.

Hope that's not a problem and thanks again for your support ;)

cheers

Fraser

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Cheers for the update Fraser :)
Dave thats it then looks like that helps you make your decision ;)
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Fraser :hello:

Worry not amigo ;) At around that time, I lost both my parents and to be brutally honest.. I suddenly had a different set of things to worry about so didn't pursue the Heron. We also left the pub trade after 23years and came up to the Midlands with no work arranged so again.. there were different things to worry about. Time though is a healer and if you keep plodding on, things eventually happen. It so happens that around every 12months, someone pop's up and asks what's happening which sets the old grey matter in gear again :lol:

In this case.. I'll sort out what bits I have and unleash them on the waiting throngs.. hopefully in time for Christmas. My files are a state.. they've not been touched for a couple of years so I'll have to sort out what's relevant and what's not ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

As a card-carrying member of the "waiting throngs" club :lol: thank you both for your continued work on the lovely Heron. :) It's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Brian

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

Nice to hear that in spite of real life doing it's damnedest the Heron may well be flying soon. I know everyone strives to get as close to perfection as possible but there will always be limits to what can be achieved, and I'm sure the majority of users will be more than satisfied and grateful for the chance to share in the work achieved.

It might even prompt me to fire up FS for the first time in I don't know how long!

thunder100
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by thunder100 »

May I ask wether the FSX download of the Heron is a native FSX model?
I dont think so but if yes I could move annother VC in for the meanwhile.

If not may I dare to ask wether on the upcoming Version 2 (retractable wheels) an exterior FSX native Output could be considered (is more work as animations are not the same I know)

Thanks for at least reading that

Roland
Vienna/Austria