Bristol 170 Superfreighter

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Bristol 170 Superfreighter

Post by Garry Russell »

THanks Myles

Still a long way to go.but it's getting there. :cpu:

Should be going to beta any day now....... :worried:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

That's looking superb Garry.. ;-)

..I think you can take the 'L' plates off it..... :lol:

Derek :)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah..they should be red on a white background. :)

All that advice you gave me at the beginning is paying off. CHEERS

Garry
Garry

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

The problem I have is the Superfreighter has been extinct since 1975 and finding interior detail is nigh on impossible............
Garry,

This is just a thought, but if all other sources have failed, there might be some info available at Lydd. Up until a couple of years ago, I used to fly to/from Lydd airport occasionally and I noticed that in the airport bar/restaurant there were a couple of binders full of 8x10" glossy b&w prints of Lydd's "glory days" (Ferryfield). Many of the photos were of Superfreighters and I think there may have been interior shots when cargo or passengers were of interest/unusual. The trouble is, I can't be sure whether they would show what you need, and it is a bit of an out-of-the-way place to get to (but very handy for the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch railway, if you want to make a day of it!).

Another possibility would be the local paper's archive: since travelling through Ferryfield was, for a time, fashionable & newsworthy, there might be more photos than usual for a local airfield.

Kevin

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

What Garry really needs is a researcher in SOUTHAMPTON, the museum there (Solent Wings) has thousands of pictures in the archeive, but none available on line. Any volenteers? Being able to get scans of the pictures would be ideal.
ATB Trev

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Kevin

That Silver City collection at Lydd is the one that has been moved to Solent Sky at Southampton.

As Trevor says I need someone in that area or perhaps someone her knows someone connection with Solent Sky (Southampton Hall of Aviation).

I can't go as I don't live in that part of the world which is why I am limited to what I can find on the net and in books.

There is a huge collection there listed on the net but you have to go and see it. I know that just about everything I need like pics of the pax cabin etc is there but I nave no access to it. :-(

I also need better reference for Silver City liveries. I know of at least fourteen livery variations worn :o ....co-incidentally the same number of Superfreighters built for them....but it doesn't equate as one for each as at least three of them were only worn by one aircraft

The project is at a stage where it needs inside information......I just wish I could go there

http://www.afm.ses.soton.ac.uk/solentsk ... 20City.htm

Garry
Garry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Garry, I have taken a bit of a liberty and posted a 'cry for help' on this research on the CBFS main page, as I am afraid not all our visitors come down here! I cannot make it sticky, (can you do that please), I am sure we can get this info, even if it means expanding the search off site.
ATB Trev

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers Trev

I'll do that :)

Regards

Garry
Garry

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Preview of the (incomplete) inside.Not to be confused with Stephenson's Rocket :lol:

Cheers

Fraser

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Despite the similarity with the steam pressure gauges....The Rocket had a higher number on the speedo. :lol:

NIce one Fraser :)
Garry