Llanbedr - EGOD

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Llanbedr - EGOD

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Denis,

Thanks for that. I haven't been on that site for years. (Forgot about it to be honest.) The links don't seem to be working at the moment, I'm getting database errors. Are these FSX sceneries? :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

XR219 wrote:Are these FSX sceneries? :)
Here's a link to the download....

http://www.vfraddons.co.uk/vfrdetails_v ... ctedID=746

..and yes they appear to be for FSX only....BUT....for GenX which I don't have. :-(

Not sure if they will work with a stock FSX build.
Larry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers Larry..

Thought that file seemed very small. You need some of the runway12 libraries as well as anotehr addon scenery. I'll look into it, but I'm pretty sure the rw12 stuff is FS9, not FSX. It still works, but because the textures aren't DDS I was getting really bad frame rates using the RW12 objects. Or it may just have been me. Does anyone know for sure if the runway12 stuff is properly FSX'd?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I have found that most Rwy 12 stuff is pre-FSX and in many cases pre-FS9 too! Some of the stuff works in FSX but as you say the textures are BMP files. I have converted the textures to DDS in some of my experiments and they work fine that way.

I just tried the other scenery in stock FSX and while I have some of the Rwy 12 libraries installed I didn't bother with the other recommended libraries by the author as I was only interested in seeing if the runways/taxiways were at ground level in the stock build. Turns out they are correct but I was seeing autogen trees in the grassy areas between the runways so it looks like the excludes aren't quite right for stock.

Hmmm.....I am almost tempted to have a go at this myself..lol (but I have too much other stuff on my plate at the moment). I would really like to see the estuary shown correctly in game and a proper campsite (with tents) on the spit between the airfield and the sea. I corrected the estuary at Lossiemouth in ADE and it wasn't too difficult to do (I added the golf course at the end of the runway too! :roll: )
Larry

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Here's a flatten for EGOD:

http://www.geo-davison.demon.co.uk/EGOD-Flatten.zip

George
George

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

At risk of going slightly off topic, the real Llanbedr is set to re-open soon despite misguided opposition from the Snowdonia Society. The Kemble Airfield Group have been given a 125 year lease of the airfield by the Llywodraeth Cynulliad Cymru (Welsh Assembly Government) for general aviation and ancilliary uses. There is a possibility some UAV activity may be returning to the site (although given the LCC's susbstantial investment in a new research facility at Aberporth which has failed to attract much interest I don't see this being very likely) together with tv filming and the like (I wonder if that well known Uncontollable Aerial Vehicle, the Tardis, will be popping in from Cardiff? But please, not Top Gear...). There has been suggestions that the site might attract pleasure flights (would the Atlantic Classic Flight be interested in basing a Rapide here I wonder?) and a vague suggestion that the twice daily PSO flight from Valley to Cardiff might call, although I suspect that is more aspirational as the flight seems to be busy enough on the existing route. That said, Llanbedr was examined by the LCC when looking at a possible PSO internal air network and only discounted because at the time it was closing, and this part of the Welsh Coast is a good three to four hours car or train journey from Cardiff.

Kemble Aviation had indicated in the local "Cambrian News" that they would be having an airshow on the 20th August, but things have gone quiet since. If I see anything in the local chipwrap I'll let you know.

Also, in case people hadn't seen it, there's a nice little history of the airfield called "Target Rolling" published by Midland Counties. I picked my signed copy up from Harlech Post Office but the book is available unsigned from Midland Counties amongst others. There's a lovely shot of an RAE Devon flying over Snowdonia, plus plenty of other pictures of some of the other aircraft that has used the airfield.

When you consider that it's only a few years ago that Meteors and Vampires were bellowing out of the airfield chasing unmanned Jindiviks, and the area is routinely buzzed by low flying jets and ultra-low flying Hercules, you do have to wonder what the hell the Snowdonia Society are on, fortunately the local population have almost unanimously backed the proposal and the Society have been completely wrong footed.

Here's hoping a PSO service to Cardiff does come to the airfield, it will be ideal for me to have a day's shopping in Cardiff!

Stealth
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Stealth »

Re Ben's original question, the only navaids at OD were:
PAR on 18 and 36
Primary surveillance radar (Plessey AR15 from memory)
UHF and VHF D/F

I left in 1991 and I believe that a SSR feed was introduced some time later, but whether it was a SSR radar head at OD or a remote feed I'm not sure.