Fairey Gannet

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Re: Fairey Gannet

Post by Rich »

The Gannet is currently aboard Ark Royal undergoing deck handling trials in Manila Bay so a bit far away for you to see much, cat launch and arrested landing trials completed ok with a few on and off Victorious with no probs.

She does look nice cruising on one engine with a prop stopped and feathered and on a attack run with both engines running and bomb doors open.

Can't say any more or I will have to shoot myself
Rich

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Hi guys, I missed this post, Rob, do you have the 4+ guide to the Fairey Gannet, stuffed full of brilliant 3D layouts and photos from all angle inside and out!!!

I have a copy here in Spain, but I think it is still about in specialst aviation bookshops...

http://www.4pluspublications.com/index. ... ks&range=1#

Amazon have this.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Submarine-Hunte ... =8-2-spell

Modellers guides are always a good source of interior detailling!!
ATB Trev

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Rob,

You can get copies of the Gannet pilots notes and operating data manual from http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com/Gannet.html, I've used them myself and its a good service.

Should have some useful shots of the cockpit as well as performance details.

Skippy

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

Hello Skippy,
Thank you for that, I'll have a look.
I did manage to speak to John Delaney, collections manager at Duxford who has promised me some black and white shots of the cockpit of their Gannet, as they have "no access equipment certified for non staff" to view cockpit first hand.

Thanks again
Rob

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Rob..

Re the centre/main panel at Woodley, having checked this.. I've realised that the panel on display in their single hangar IS actually the one out of the aircraft.

Some movement on other fronts though. I'm expecting some info for Rich in the not too distant from their curator ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

DaveB wrote:Re the centre/main panel at Woodley
They have a complete T5 there don't they, with a restored cockpit??

I take it this is down the road from you Dave?

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Andy..

Yes.. they have a complete T5 there which I covered externally some years ago. Inside the hangar and among the jumble referred to as 'Exibits' is a Double Mamba cutaway and next to it, a restored centre panel. It transpires that this is actually out of the T5 outside.. not an additional display. Looking at the state of it when the aircraft arrived, I dread to think what state the rest of it is in now :( So mate, the restored bit is the centre panel in the hangar.. NOT the complete cockpit on the aircraft :)

The museum IS, I suppose, just down the road in the grand scale of things. I live 10miles-ish NE of Reading centre and Woodley is on the other side off the A329M. The easy way to get to it from where I live is considerably longer but probably a lot faster :D

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

Guys,

I wish I could help with this regarding photos from the Woodley Museum, my house in the UK is like a 5 minute bike ride from that museum....and to think I never went!

Really keen to see this project do well, there is a lot of love for this old bird.

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

robcarrich wrote:Hello Skippy,
Thank you for that, I'll have a look.
I did manage to speak to John Delaney, collections manager at Duxford who has promised me some black and white shots of the cockpit of their Gannet, as they have "no access equipment certified for non staff" to view cockpit first hand.

Thanks again
Rob
Hi Rob,

I'm a bit late joining this thread, but well done on starting on much-overdue project. My only two pence worth to add is, get over to the Midland Air Museum sometime; I was able to get into the T.2 up there a couple of years ago, and perhaps with a preemptive phone call, you could too. All I'll say is, avoid if you don't have a head for heights! :lol:

Steve

p.s. I have a few pics from the cockpit if you still need more ref.

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

Thank you Trev, Dave and steve,
I did take a picture of the Gannet panel on display in the hanger and some of the exterior on my last visit to the Miles museum.
Maybe I'll try my luck with The Midland Museum next as Steve seems to have had some success there!

Thank you all for your help
Rob