Instant Scenery V2

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Instant Scenery V2

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Mike.. I'm in the market for telecom towers too :lol:

North of where I live is the telecom tower at Pye Green. It's a fair distance from here but it dominates the skyline (built as part of the early warning chain during the cold war). I've knicked the tower at Brum for my homemade scenery at Pye Green but it's the wrong shape (square not round) and it's too high. The tower at Pye Green sits on top of Cannock Chase which is much higher than Birmingham so the tower is shorter (the tops of each one are the same height ASL +/-). I'll take a look at those you've listed :thumbsup:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

If you have the ORBX object library installed, they have the Menwith Hill domes showing by EGNM. Perhaps they can be placed where you nee them Dave.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Hi Dave,

There are a couple of green golf balls at one of the UK200 VFR Airfields but I have forgotten which one :(
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks George and Graham :lol:

The last ORBX library I installed put all the crap on my desktop as if I had ORBX scenery installed which I didn't care for much. I don't have any on this install. Maybe I could pull the library off my old pc *-)

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Dave,
I've changed the file on that d/l link from a .bgl to an .mdl
Using the same ink above will give you the .mdl That might fix the problem.
IS needs to have files added to a library using Library Maker, and it looks for mdls not bgls. Somehow they seem to turn up as bgls in the end. I was reasonably familiar with it a few weeks back, but I have to re-learn the ropes again. My mental problems make it hard to retain much unless I keep doing it repeatedly.

Those "radars" appear to have come from ARM Scenery. I d/l a swag of his UK airports, but from where, escapes me. Good luck and sorry for the inconvenience.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No problem Mike and thanks for your time and trouble :thumbsup:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Here we go.. I think it looks quite naff now but it does the job..

I originally (until this morning) had 3 big dishes knicked from Goonhilly to represent the big dishes at bude and used those smaller default dishes to represent the smaller ones. However, the Goonhilly dishes are really too big and the small default dishes are both too big and too small depending on where I place them :lol: The LOD models on the defaults, while effective, look naff until you're very close but as I said.. it'll do the trick. Mikes dome is where it should be and fit for purpose. The sat station at Bude is a landmark and not meant to represent an accurate rendition so job done ;)

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Dave,

Let me know if this bad boy would be more in keeping. If you want it, its easy enough to convert it in MCX and then you can place it using instant scenery...

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... b99bd30e5b

[EDIT] and heres a radome... https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... ac91b864b1
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

I'm au fait with Arthur.. that's what I'd borrowed from Goonhilly :thumbsup: Great looking model though the textures could do with a bit of a revamp (toning down the shadows and cleaning up the dish a bit). That little radome is nice. I'll zap that one ;)

Noticed at Sketchup yesterday that Google Earth is no longer accepting models which is a darned shame. Using IT to locate and build/convert models for FS worked a treat. OK.. some of the models were too poly-heavy for FS but I have loads of em scattered around the UK. My Portsmouth would have been a non-starter as would Southampton.

Thanks for that matey :thumbsup:
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Radomes.. now we're talkin' :lol:

This is from the telecom2 scenery MikeW posted. If I can pull them apart, I'll never need another radome again :lol:

Sadly, the telecom tower at Leeds is too small.. exactly the right sort of thing just too short. Here's a link to the tower at Pye Green.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pye_Green_BT_Tower

If anyone knows how to stretch the one at Leeds.. let me know :lol:

EDIT: Here's the scenery tower at Leeds as a comparison..
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage