Instant Scenery V2

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Instant Scenery V2

Post by Airspeed »

Good luck with the vet.
A close friend is coming to grips with deciding on the timing of a final needle for his old dog. :((

I edited my previous post while you were replying. Sounds like the texture is now OK, so I'll move those two small buildings.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Buildings moved, Cap'n.
2 concrete discs also joined.
A few more unseen polygons eliminated, I think they're all deleted now (undersides of buildings eg)
Sign moved to ground level.
Hope this works OK, but if not, I'm happy to continue tweaks.
There are only .bgls and the texture in the new zip. Still at the same location.
If it doesn't work, I'll add the .mdls and .xmls again.

I saw 2 signs, the billboard as modelled, and another clipped to the inside of tall cyclone gates.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Mike :thumbsup:

I was happy with the previous incarnation but I'll download the latest as you've gone to the trouble of making it ;) I can make a list of other buildings I'd like built if you want to remain active :lol:

Not sure what's happening with the 'Lab'. They're concerned her gums and the inside of her ears look pale so she had a blood test yesterday (for a red cell count).. the results of which I should be given today. When a Labrador doesn't eat everything put in front of it.. there's obviously something wrong and this is how our poor old girl is now. :( She's been given Metacam to give some relief for her aging joints but there are side effects (the runs being one) and her No.2's were not as they should be yesterday. There are alternatives and these will need to be looked at but the result of the blood test is next on the agenda. :(

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Pleased to do more, Dave,
I like making and texturing, though I'll never match Garry's precision.
It'll be even more fun when I gain confidence in the file types that work. I'm constantly worrying that you won't be able to place them, hence me asking whether the .bgls work. [They seem to be what you get when d/l other peoples' stuff]
Also that texture not being there....then it was......is still buzzing in my head. Would you indulge me with another screen shot, so that I can see if the textures are as intended? I know that the little samples on that d/l page don't show everything clearly.
BTW, would you be happier with the conventional sphere, rather than the "new" geodesic? I see that the one on the far left in your scenery is conventional. It's easy enough to swap it.
If you don't want to clog up the Forum with it, I'm just as happy with a PM or ten, so, fire away with your list. ;)

I'm thinking of your Labrador, keep us posted. :cpu:
Last edited by Airspeed on 30 Apr 2014, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Okey Doh Mike.. pleased to be a guinea pig for you :) I've downloaded the latest version.. give me a few mins to work out how to use it and I'll post a screenie ;)

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

We've lost something with this one Mike..

I couldn't see the building in IS so I put it through MCX, saved it as an MDL and added it to a library. MCX reported it couldn't load the dds file and when I opened it in FSX via IS, it had the black base again. However, this had gone when I returned to the scenery. As for the texture at the base of the dome.. who knows :dunno:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Curses!
Looks like the .mdls are vital.
I'll add them to the zip, upload and get to bed.
Should be OK to try again in 30min.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

ok Mike.. cheers ;) I had rather a few versions of this on my pc and to stop any confusion, I've deleted the lot. The old sign (the one I physically moved up) is still in place.. seems no need to do anything with that. It works, albeit after a fiddle, and that's good enough ;)

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

10:39pm version uploaded with .mdls & .xmls.

What did you mean about the texture at the base of the dome, Dave? Is it black, or what? I saw close ups of several, and the rings were brick, or panels, or smooth...I put white bricks as I couldn't find a detailed side view at Bude. Can simply make it plain white if preferred. I see that it's used partly to monitor internet traffic in & out of the UK.... *-) :worried:

I'll check in again in the morning.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike :)

If you look at either the mdl or model bgl in MCX, the base shows pure black and the bottom pane states unable to read RADOME32.DDS (although it does display the majority of the textures. That aside.. when I went to place the model in IS.. it displayed with this pure black base (as in 2 black circles.. one underneath each building). Having placed the object in FSX.. then closed FSX and returned to it, these black base tiles have gone and it matches the scenery. The black you see in shots is undoubtedly shadow rather than anything else :)

I'll download the files again and take a peek ;)
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage