Instant Scenery V2

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Instant Scenery V2

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Mike :hello:

Rgr that mate... new files downloaded ;)

Do you have the 'benefit' of having GenX installed btw? Reason I ask is because on the original model (where I see it sits IRL).. the 2 buildings (the sphere and the round building alongside) are a touch too close together. This sounds like nit-picking but it's not honestly. Having gone to the effort of making it in the first place then modifying it to look better.. I believe you'd want it 'right' if that makes sense. TBH, for my purposes.. it's perfect 'as is' and your model is already the most accurate part of it! :lol:

Anyhoo.. I'll add the new files and show you what I mean. Feel free to tell me to naff off.. I certainly won't be offended :cpu:

EDIT: Here's a quick shot.. this is the original model btw..

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Now look what you've made me do...

:lol: :lol:

Not sure why the FSXP objects lose a LOD or so like this. Only happens when I'm in slew or have just used IS.. otherwise, they maintain their shape much better. A few more AE's added and scaled plus a handful of portacabins just to bulk it out a bit more :)

EDIT: here's another shot taken after I'd come out of and gone back into FSX..
Odd shaped sat dishes gone ;)
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Very nice guys

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Dave,
I've done a relocation, as I see from your screen shot about the distance between.
I also did more textures, but right now I've lost the plot 12:27pm.
I'll work through the upload tomorrow, Matey.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks Brian and much appreciated Mike :thumbsup: I know you don't like stuff not right or as right as it can be which is why I mentioned it ;) Why the hell I've put those portacabins in I don't know as it's only supposed to be a landmark (towit it works really well.. if I see GCHQ Bude.. I know I've gone too far up the coast) :lol: Wish I could make stuff myself but I don't have the patience and I'm too damned idle. I want something and I want it NOW! :lol:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi again, Dave,
I've placed a Bude zip file at that download link, with updated pictures. You should get the textures this time. Once you've d/l, if they don't go to the right places, just copy & paste the model and texture to the Addon folder that has been working for you.

Because I still don't really follow how it all works, the .bgl, .mdl, .xml and text files are all there. Maybe some more knowledgeable soul can point me/us in the right direction. :worried: :agree:

I don't have that GenX business, but I used Google Earth to measure the actual distance between them, which was shorter EDIT:[I mean LONGER :stupid: ] than I had. So if GenX is "real", it should work out fine. If it doesn't, post another screen shot, and I'll slide them to fit. Also added another white box on the other side of the road.

BTW....Included in the zip is the sign outside the perimeter fence. (couldn't resist it)
Last edited by Airspeed on 29 Apr 2014, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Cheers Mike.. I'll go and pull the files now :thumbsup:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mike..

Not sure what's going on but this is how I'm seeing the latest version..

The GCHQ sign was coming up half buried too but I managed to change it's elevation in IS to make it visible.

EDIT: Mike.. the black base had gone when I went back to Bude having closed the sim down. :dunno:
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Dave,
The black is failure to recognise the texture file. The sign detail is part of the same image file, so presumably, you also have a black sign, instead of as in the picture under the d/l?
The basic colours are from material descriptions. None of the detailed textures are being picked up.
The texture image is 1024x1024 pixels, and was converted from the usual 24 bit to 32 bit, named Radome32 IIRC.
Is the texture file in your Addon directory?
If you view it in DXTBMP,, is it described as 32 bit?
EDIT: You say the black base was "gone" Does this mean it disappeared completely, or appeared as grubby concrete?
I see that, to match your ground tile, I now need to shunt the two little buildings on the RHS further away from the dome.
I won't upload that fix until we sort the textures.
Last edited by Airspeed on 29 Apr 2014, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Oddly enough, the sign was/is fine. The only problem with it was that it was sunk but I pulled it back by adjusting the height in 'Object Properties'. The black base to the buildings showed as a failure to load RADOME.DDS in MCX too (though this often happens). Having gone back to it, the black base has gone and all looks tickerty boo. The sign is placed opposite an RAF Guardhouse on the entrance road so all in all.. a good job well done ;)

Off to the vets with the Labrador now. The poor old girl may have something drastic wrong.. we'll see :(

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage