Trouble with PSP 4 and DDS

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Trouble with PSP 4 and DDS

Post by Airspeed »

Groan - yes, it's me again!
Saved a DDS DXT3 as 24bit BMP using DXTBMP.
Opened in PSP V4, saved.
Opened in DXTBMP, saved as DDS DXT3.
Everything LOOKS OK, and I have confirmed that the texture is freeware without restriction on alteration.
The texture appears upside down on the model. And yes, I've tried flipping it and re-saving, but it looks exactly the same, flipped or not. Worse still, it's stuck like that, and won't revert.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is PSP V4 just too old? Any suggestions please?

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Trouble with PSP 4 and DDS

Post by Airspeed »

I have now tried flipping then saving as Extended BMP DXT3, instead of the original DDS DXT3.
Texture appears right way up, just out of alignment. I guess that's because DDS wrap differently to ExtBMPs.
The learning continues.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Mike,

Just a thought (I know cos I've done this..) Is there an original texture.bmp still in the aircraft texture folder? if so that will always take preference, doesn't matter what you do to the DDS, you can flip it to your hearts content it won't change on the model.

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for the tip Brian, and HI! :hello:
I'd spotted that before, and deleted it each time it popped up, thinking it may cause a problem. Now you've told me, I know for sure.
I'm beginning to wonder whether I've EVER managed to use a DDS DTX3, Maybe they were Extended BMP DXT3.
I cycled through the steps so many times, over the past couple of days, I am now quite confused.
Anyway, last night I reinstalled the FTX AI traffic pack, which reverted all the textures to original.
Today I stayed clear of it all. I'll have another crack later this week.
Thanks again, good to hear from you. ;)