Aircraft textures FSX

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Aircraft textures FSX

Post by Airspeed »

Mr Gary,
Don't see it as a disappointment, just a challenge ;) Especially as you said you wanted to use the orig. as a reference only.
Suggest you give Garry the answer to his question. He knows his liveries, and has created many excellent paint jobs, as I'm sure you know.

Dave, you beat me to it! I was reading your post with difficulty, as my eyes were doing several RPM, then you announced "coffee break" - what a relief! :worried:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Changing from DXT3 to 32 bit will give you a file the same dimensions as the DXT3 version so will still fit

32bit 888-8 is used for high quality. When compressed to DXT3 format the memory use is down to a quarter but detail is lost.

So again if you uncompress it all you have is a larger memory with less detail and possible discoloration from being compressed and uncompressed

You can't add anything that's not there already and DXT3 compression will have killed a lot of detail like subtle tints

This I did some time ago to show why I left the Channel 748 tail was left in 32 bit.

As you can see on the right the DXT3 compression loses the subtle tint I added to the alpha

If that dxt3 was un compresses it would be 32 bit but still look like the DXT3 version

Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Dave, you beat me to it! I was reading your post with difficulty
:lol: :lol:
Yes mate.. that's why I stopped. I was trying to think of an easy comparison as an explanation but I didn't think about what I was going to say before I said it :lol:

Sri if I've confused the issue ggi.. that wasn't my intention ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Dave mate :hello:

If you double the size you don't double the pixel, you quadruple them.

They are doubled in two directions.

If you print out a 2048x2048 you'd need four 1024x1024 printouts to cover it.
Garry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Yes, I realise that but it didn't come across that way which is why I stopped :lol: The proof of the pudding is always in the eating. As you mentioned earlier, a map at one size may be 1mb and at the next step (say 1024 to 2048) it'll be 4mb :) I've just typed more but erased it again :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ggi
Meteor
Meteor

Post by ggi »

It was actually two of Garrys BAC1-11-200 liveries. The original Aer Lingus, with the striped tail, and the BUA hockey stick c.1969. I made some Aer LIngus liveries for the CaptainSim 737 (1970 + 1980 versions) which was my first venture with painting - and the larger format allows for much more detail. The 1-11 is superb, Garrys paints are fantastic, but the HD is starting to age some of them prematurely when close up. This is not a criticism of the work - they've aged really well when you consider the difference between the PC I ran in 2003 and the liquid cooled quad core I use now.
Gary

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Those were done in the early days with Photostudion

It can't read .PSP or .PSF so they were painted ontop of exisiting paints that were de compressed. So those were never very HQ in the first place.

None of my One-Eleven paints were don from the PK.
Garry

ggi
Meteor
Meteor

Post by ggi »

Hi Garry - thanks for the information. If I can do anything, I'd like to post it to you first as I'd need to use your original work to make it happen in the first place - and if you have time your feedback would be invaluable.
Interesting chat and exchange of ideas here - thanks to all who chipped in!! (and so quickly)
Gary

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Ok Gary...but I won't be able to look at them as I don't have a working FS.9, don't use FS.X and haven't got the One-Eleven loaded on either. :worried: :lol:
Garry