Need more power

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Need more power

Post by dodger »

Hi,

I have a freeware GA Robin dr400 and it seems underpowered, compared to other GA aircraft i have it could do with a bit more speed to reach take off, is there a change i could make in the Engine Dept in the CFG,

This is something i have not ever come across before and any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Need more power

Post by Dev One »

I have a downloaded AFSD programme from Herve Sors that I find useful for use in FS9, as it can read the FS data & so give horsepower & thrust - as well as a load of other data. One then has to play ideally with some bits in the air file, but to keep it simple one can raise the engine HP in the .cfg as well as the thrust, so one can make it supersonic if you wish!
If you give me a link to the file I can certainly see if I can tweak it for you, or you can fiddle with it yourself of course.
Keith

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the quick response but i will have a fiddle and see what i can do, i have looked at that AFSD Program and it looks complicated and it was just something i thought was easy to do and if you know what you are doing it is,

I do have AirEd but it's been a few years since i have used it and like i said in my post this has not come up before with any aircraft i have used, i do have a link to FlightSim.com for the aircraft it is the first one by Yannick Lavigne. Robin dr400 allthough it's in the 2004 section i do use it ok in FSX as well,

This is the link http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php ... d=15085764 but if you are not registered of course it will not be of any use to you!

Anyway Keith thanks again and i will see how i get on,

Regards,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Just a quick note Roger and one I'm sure you're au fait with but the likely cause of your loss of power is due to the model being FS9 and you using it in FSX. Some models seem to get away with it where it shows in others.

Let us know how you get on anyway ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Dave,

Yes you could be right ,as you say some models are ok from one sim to another,

Keith,

Well it looks like it's much better as i did as you said and increased the engine HP in the .cfg as well as the thrust and the aircraft reaches a better take off speed and does not drop off climbing at 500fpm which was happening before,

Thanks Gents for your help,

Roger.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Maybe because some models have the parameters in the .airfile and others in the CFG
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Roger,
Unfortunately your link doesn't work, but doing a search in the FS2004 category brings up Yannick Lavines Robin , plus at least 3 more updates out of a total of 20 files, so maybe there are performance corrections in those other 3.
Anyway glad you have been able to increase the power so it will leave the deck a bit quicker!

(I am registered over there & during the current hiatus at Britsim I've uploaded my Miles Hobby & I'm now in the slow process of uploading some of my previous stuff over there.)
Keith

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Keith,

Sorry about the link, it was ok when i posted it but i see it now shows "No Search Results", i will have a look at those updates,

Thanks again,

Roger.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Dodger , some Robin DR400s have the small Lycoming O-320 of 108hp , whilst a lot have bigger engines , up to the Lycoming O-360 180hp . They are lovely a/c to fly but being French seem quirky to us Brits , and yes the 108 hp when fully loaded does perform like a Trident 1C , at an hot and high airfield ! Curvature of the earth is a useful thing .

ATB dave f .