Thruxton Jackaroo

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Thruxton Jackaroo

Post by Molyned »

Another great British classic aircraft is currently under construction in our hangar. It is the Thruxton Jackaroo four - seater gentlemans tourer.
This aircraft first took to the skies in 1957 ; a total of 18 being built by Jackaroo Aircraft Limited at Thruxton. Its uncanny likeness to the D.H. Tiger Moth is because they were modified from them by mainly rebuilding the fuselage to accomodate the wider cockpit.
Here's a 'first-light' preview of the beauty. Plenty of work left to do but don't forget to leave a space in your hangar.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Thruxton Jackaroo

Post by DaveB »

A gentlemans tourer?? Built for me then :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Neat! :)

Brian

Anders Samuelsson
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Anders Samuelsson »

Nice!
take-care
Andy

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Hmm...I can remember the Thruxton Velocette, and the Jackaroo was a GM-Holden attempt at a 4WD, so the old mind was a tad boggled at this machine!
But now I know what one is, and who is making it, I look forward to having one in my FS. :thumbsup:

MikeW

maarten
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by maarten »

Lovely!! I didn't dare hope a Jackaroo would grace the skies. :welldone:

Cheers,
Maarten

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Like MikeW,
The only mechanical Jackaroo I'd come across was the FULLY IMPORTED "Holden" Jackaroo. Now that we are in the final couple of years before ALL large vehicle manufacturers leave our shores, everything will be fully imported. Tonight the PM said his government was "creating one million new jobs, and we're off to a good start". This followed an item where we were told that 60,000 jobs have been lost since they were elected. *-) :S
But back to the programme:
I can see why they did it back in '57, it's an odd looking creation, but a great looking model, Dave M! Couldn't find one in my Encyclopedia of 928 pages...a rare subject indeed!

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Not too surprising the aircraft isn't well known in Oz - of the 18 / 19 made I find no record of any of them being sold outside of the U.K.
At the time the Jackaroo was built. there were import restrictions on foreign aircraft so a new American aircraft would have been a rare sight. There was however a plentiful supply of surplus wartime aircraft so Austers, Proctors, Miles and of course Tiger Moths were a common sight in the skies at that period. There was a need for a cheap 4-seater - hence the idea of modifying Tiggies into Jackaroos. Most were used as trainers.
Back to work ... BTW I forgot to mention that this is an FS9 model which should be OK in FSX.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

kikas
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by kikas »

:welldone: Looks very nice, already made place for it in my hangar

MilesMan
Lightning
Lightning

Post by MilesMan »

Looking good, Dave. Have located about sixteen schemes for the Jackaroo!
BTW one is currently airworthy in Canada (C-FPHX), one did go to Australia (VH-KRK) for a while before returning to the UK as G-APAJ, and one went to Nigeria.
Looking forward to this one.

cheers, PW