Wisley Beta 0.8

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Wisley Beta 0.8

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps,

I'd been kicking around with Wisley for FSX for years now. Its working OK on my system and while its not hugely accurate, it is what it is. The models are mostly Toby Vickers SCASM object converted using MCX. George Davison has worked magic so that the mesh looks right, a straight forward flatten wouldn't work. Its for FSX only, and ONLY with GenX VFR installed. It works with P3D2.1, but given that there are so many issues with that at the moment, I'm not holding out much hope that it will continue to work. I'd appreciate any feedback in this thread and I'll see if I can tweak it before uploading to the library. There are a fair few trees around the airfield, so it might struggle on some systems, but the trees should get less if you adjust the sliders back. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you FSXers with GenX installed could give it a go and let me know what you think. Usual scenery install rules, copy the Wisley folder from the zip to your chosen scenery folder in the sim and activate in the usual way. I'll do my best to respond quickly but very busy in work at the moment so it could take a day or two. I'll right some proper instructions and a readme when its going up properly.

P.S. ICAO code is X2WY as the real code is used elsewhere in FSX

Cheers,

Ben
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Wisley Beta 0.8

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Ben.. I'll take a look ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Don't worry about the trees Ben. They will all be blown down soon enough.

Nev

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I'll give it a go in the morning Ben :thumbsup:
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Considering what's there.. it's a bit of a frame hog but I guess it can be expected to be :) My FR's improved a little when I changed from the EC130 to the EC135 (the 130 is a bit of a frame hog too) but both were ok when flown from inside. A fair bit of tile flashing (tiles going black) when outside in the 130.. very little when outside in the 135 (both instances while flying). It did cause FSX to throw up an ai_player.dll error when I'd closed down.. something I only generally see while near the coast in busy shipping lanes. I have no AI airliners active.. only GA and small stuff.
Not really possible to pull the settings down any lower as Treescapes looks pony. It looks odd at certain angles now and would look worse if lower :worried:

I liked the little baggage truck whizzing about the place :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'll see about making the trees optional by sticking them in a separate bgl. I think some of the MCX converted objects can cause flashing, but i don't get them now, so not sure.

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Matey :hello:

It wasn't the buildings or objects flashing.. it was the ground tiles going black. On my WinXP FSX install.. this was a precursor to getting an OOM and was oft seen around the more populated areas of ES Shawbury Fields so you've done good mate by fitting much less in and getting the same effect in Win7 (but without the OOM) :lol:

I jest ;) It's fine if flown inside and was ok with a lower poly model when flown outside. The trees will undoubtedly have an impact so it may be handy to have some of them go on less than spectacular machinery ;) It could do with a handful of statics too which really wouldn't help FR's :-O

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ben :)

A thought occurred to me this morning.. Wisley's proximity to the 'Smoke' :worried: While the volume of trees may be of some concern, how you view/approach Wisley (in relation to London) has a fair old impact on overall FR's and there's nowt you can do about that mate.. except move London (and why not!) :thumbsup:

Despite whizzing around at a leisurely pace in the default Bell206 and seeing no black tiles while viewing from the outside.. FSX still chucked out an ai_player.dll error after I'd closed down :(
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

All looks fine to me Ben :thumbsup:
Tried it in FSX DX10, (P3d has been removed for now) everything seems to line up with the underlying photoscenery. No obvious glitches. Frame rates at fine for me. There's a huge amount of Treescapes trees in that area anyway, some of which are being excluded, then replaced by Bens scenery, so the load sort of averages out the same.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers DG. I don't have treescapes so wasn't sure how it would play with that. Rgr that on London in the background DB, it might be Heathrow rather than London itself that's causing trouble.

ImageImageImage