Building RAE Bedford for FSX

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Building RAE Bedford for FSX

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps,

I've been intermittently playing with ADE again, this time working on RAE Bedford (Thurleigh). One of the things I'm struggling with is the textures for the runways / aprons / taxiways.

if you take a look here http://binged.it/Qwxkyw you'll see that most of the runways and taxiways are made up from concrete tiles, yet selecting "concrete" from ADE or similar the default "concrete" texture looks no more like the image in the link than gong to the moon. So my question is... is it possible to create a custom texture for Runways / taxi ways and aprons. If so, how should I go about it. Don't worry, I'll have lots more questions too, this is just something that's bugged me for years and with this particular airfield its really very annoying so I thought I'd ask. :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: Building Airfields FSX

Post by emfrat »

Hello Ben -
I was after much the same thing, but this post convinced me it would be more trouble than it was worth... :(
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thread ... ost-144309

ATB
MikeW

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mike,

I did spot that a while ago, but the new version of ADE allows you to do custom ground textured polys.

One for George, can I use the same process you taught me for doing photo scenery to "paint" a runway? I was wondering if I could "paint" the ground textures on to a photo type tile and then set ADE to not draw the runways or taxiways?

ImageImageImage

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Cheers, Ben - I was pretty sure you would have seen that thread, but I thought 'just in case...'
I did consider making the tarred expansion joints as a very thin scenery object, and placing it/them manually, like oil stains are applied to aprons, but there were too many other things going on at the time, and it just didn't get past the cost/benefit analysis.
MikeW

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Mike..that very thought occurred to me too...making an object and placing it on the runway *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The trouble with that approach might be the load on the computer having to render lots of tiny objects? It will be interesting to see what George reckons.

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I have never tried Ben since I am rubbish with a paint beush.

Bill Womack created a tutorial:

http://iblueyonder.com/ground-poly-tutorial/

and MCX has a ground polygon wizzard.
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers George.

I'll need to have a 'play'. :thumbsup:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Chaps,

I'm having a bit of a play with MCX and the custom poly creator in ADE. with varying success. Having some luck with aprons etc., but none with runways as yet. Anyway, here's on for you all. In the image below I'm trying to work out what the items highlighted in Yellow might be? also I'm assuming those circled in red are wind socks, but some seem to have a frequency associated with them, one between 09 and 06 labelled 332? Also all of the possible windsocks other than the one at the tower have a little zigzag at the wide end, Any ideas chaps?
EGVWmarked.JPG
(41.75 KiB) Downloaded 3042 times

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ben..

I'm not certain but I get a feeling those symbols highlighted in yellow are masts and the numbers underneath may well be altitude/height of obstruction *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!