Visit Cornwall Airfields from ARM

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Visit Cornwall Airfields from ARM

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps :)

I spend the vast majority of my sim time flying around Devon and Cornwall and Predannack has been getting my back up for a while.. the default 'star' of runways a complete eyesore :| I remember there being an alternative some time ago which caused the sim to crash but I can't remember who's it was or for which sim :wall: :lol: So.. I went looking and found Visit Cornwall available at ARM Computers. It comes with Penzance heliport, Culdrose, Predannack, St Mary's and St Just. I only wanted Predannack so I removed the rest before making it live in FSX. There's a list of 'required addons' to compliment it (isn't there always).. most of which I have but probably not all. One ref is to UK Farm Strips which date back to days of old and I didn't want to install it. In the event.. Predannack works ok but I think I'm missing some objects.. very probably from the required addons I don't have installed.

Could anyone who has this scenery post a pic to give me an idea of what I should be seeing. If necessary, I'll fill in the blanks with 'IS' :)

TaVM
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Visit Cornwall Airfields from ARM

Post by Vc Ten »

Hiya mate :hello:
Thought I had some Arm files on the sim, but turns out it was just Hawarden and IOM. Just been to their site and downloaded a few more, Cosford sleap and turnhill. Also the Corwall package. Will let you know how I get on
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Dale :thumbsup:

I haven't got the ones you mention as they're either with UK2K or ES already. Having already got a few of Trev's installed.. I thought (hoped) I'd already got enough legacy files to cope with Predannack but it appears not 8) The runways/taxiways look fine and match GenX perfectly. I've a single hangar, a control tower, a water tower and what looks like a 747 with it's engines on the deck but other than that.. very little *-) I didn't add the extra trees as I've already got Treescapes.

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave :hello:
Why don't you Google Earth your way to the airfield, and see what's really there.
Then you can swing IS into play. ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's an idea Mike. It's a bit of a 'Catch 22' as what may be there now could be less than included with the scenery. I had a google for Predannack but few photo's came up and none with any airfield detail.. mainly pics of aircraft wrecks *-) Worth a try though ;)

EDIT: The Google Earth image is from 2001 and shows very little there. I'm missing perhaps 1 new-ish hangar type building (which I was aware of) and perhaps a few small out buildings. Difficult to tell if some of these are actually buildings or containers.

Consider is job done I suppose. Thanks for the prod Mike. I don't have GEarth on my Win7 pc (the less google stuff, the better!) which is (I guess) why I'd not thought of it before. GE on my laptop is so slow, you can watch your nails grow during zooms and it seems to have given up on my WinXP pc. For a while now, it defaults to some view I don't want and I can't get rid of it :|

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Dave,
Have looked at stuff which is mostly as you describe, crashed airframes & fire rescue items.
This was a particularly clear shot of the control tower:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2060224
I can see why there's little detail-MOD property etc, though it is evident that numerous adventurers have accessed the place and got away with detailed interior pics of some aircraft.
There are photos of the airfield taken by glider trainers I think their site is VS 626, but I can't confirm that right now. I'll come back with an edit...

EDIT
.it's 626vgs.co.uk
WW2 B&W photos here:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Pred ... B700%3B416

And this place is interesting:
http://www.helstonhistory.co.uk/around- ... redannack/

Finally, a Google maps "Earth" view and another distant photo

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Mate :hello:
No luck here i'm afraid On reading the install remembered its for horizons genx, :doh: which i dont have. Installed it anyhow, and its a bit of a dogs dinner No buildings at all and trees blocking the runways :lol: Strangly the heli pad at penzance is quite good with buildings present ( not sure if there are all there ) Also tried Cosford, the hangars and museum look something like, but again the runway has stock trees on it. Tried a va flight to Ronaldsway and it looks ok for what I could make out Again not sure if everything is there. Luckily no trees to run the 463 into :lol:
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers both.. appreciate your efforts :thumbsup:

I can tart it up a little to make it less flat and featureless :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage