Barra Airport progress

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Barra Airport progress

Post by Airspeed »

No, George.
I used Lat/ & Long from the official site. When I drew up the runways using co-ordinates, I thought at first I had blundered, as I'd read that they were set out in a triangle, whereas mine fanned out from almost a common point. The author must have failed trigonometry. I've since seen a sign for visitors showing the layout, which matches mine.
I've based my work on images off the net. From what I've collected, it's evident that minor changes have occurred over time. Different floodlights have appeared in various spots on the railings, and signs have moved. It won't be perfect, because (a) it's being done by me (b) I don't have dates for all the photos. What I can say is that my model is a bit closer to the photos of the real thing than the structure in the Western Isles payware. It may all prove too much for me, especially if ADE won't let me make my airport on top of the sea. Anyway, here's an angle I haven't already posted:

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

ADE doesn't care whether the airport is on land or sea.

Set the runways and taxiways to have zero width and they wont be visible.

BTW. The airport doesn't come with Gen-X.
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That's really good Mike :thumbsup:

I haven't added any signs etc to mine yet as I'm hoping to get some better photos. I need to add the various antenna too.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

GHD wrote:ADE doesn't care whether the airport is on land or sea.

Set the runways and taxiways to have zero width and they wont be visible.

BTW. The airport doesn't come with Gen-X.

Postby GHD » 24 May 2014, 15:47
It's a pity you don't have the Gen-X Western Isles scenery Miike. You are missing the runways and the road.

Here is Barra using default buildings and custom runway markers:

Thanks George, the ADE info sounds encouraging. :thumbsup:
Confused about Gen-X though. Your and DaveB's screen shots look the same. :dunno:

Ben,
Thanks mate, as we all know, encouragement oils the wheels of endeavour.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Don't be confused Mike. I made the notice boards and runway beacons and Norman Dean added the buildings. It was available as a free download.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mike :hello:

Sri if I confused the issue. The screenies I took were simply to give different angles on Georges shot. They show Barra using GenX vol4 (which as George says, doesn't come with airport scenery) and the default Barra. Pointless me showing you a screenie without GenX vol4 as you know what that looks like :lol: I'll post a screenie with Scotflights Barra airport in place.. the airport building looks very much like yours.. so much so that if one were removed and replaced with the other, you'd be hard pushed to notice the change so hats off for your work there :thumbsup:

Mike.. 3 screenies showing the payware Barra from the Scotflight pack..

As you can see.. your rendition of the terminal building is pretty darned close to this one :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

TSR2 wrote:That's really good Mike :thumbsup:

I haven't added any signs etc to mine yet as I'm hoping to get some better photos. I need to add the various antenna too.

I feel another bike ride coming on :excited:
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

:lol:
Your safe mate. All of those bits are inaccessible unless you're on premise. I did manage to find a chap who took some photos (all above board) in '95. He's going to see if he can dig out the originals for me as the two I found on t'internet where B&W and his originals where colour, so fingers crossed. Had no joy back from BHAG yet, I suspect the chap may be on holiday as he was usually very quick to respond. I guess its a wait and see what happens. :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mike..

Dunno if you're interested but I stumbled over Alf's Airfields vol27 this evening.. Barra :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Dave,
It's good of Alf to cover these small airfields, but the detail is just not there.
BTW, those screenies have some good stuff in them, but the roof of the terminal is too high. The real photos I've seen show a rather low profile (like mine, if I be honest).
I chucked a bucket of sand into the bay and landed on it. Now I have to get the shape right.
This whole project results from a member asking if Barra was available anywhere, and I determined to have a crack at it, even if I fall on my face trying.
I've still tons to learn, like transparent texture alphas, ATC etc, and I haven't even thought about night lighting yet. :worried: