Barra Airport progress

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Barra Airport progress

Post by Airspeed »

TSR2 wrote:If you can zip the fsc and textures and mail it over I'll take a look :)
Hi Ben,
Couldn't find a way of attaching to a pm or a post, so I put them on the Simulator Downloads page at my AFV website. The note to you on that page asks to click in the green boxes. Those boxes do not show, so just put your mouse left of the 1,2,3,4 lines and it will turn into a hand which will allow the download.
Your assistance in tracking this problem is much appreciated. ;)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mike,

No problem, could you send me the url please :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Ben,
It's the globe gizmo under the avatar.

This takes you straight to the page:
http://airspeedsflyingvisit.webplus.net/simdls.html

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mike,

Got it thanks. I forgot about the little website icon.

Right, firstly MCX is giving an error when I open the FSC file, and this may be where the problems stem from. I get...

Code: Select all

14:27	FSCReader	Warning		The triangulation failed, some polygons might be missing!
14:27	FSCReader	Warning		The triangulation failed, some polygons might be missing!
In the MCX log file, but it does open the model. If you spin the model upside down in MCX though, half of it disappears! I renamed the textures, taking out the spaces and ampersands and replacing them with underscores and also converted the textures to DDS, but to no avail. I exported it to 3DS and opened it in Sketchup and there seems to be gaps in the polys as though they aren't joined. MCX will be able to render it, but I don't think xtomdl can work with it, hence the errors when you try to compile it in either MCX or FSDS. (I don't have FSDS, just from what you've said earlier.) I think the problem stems from the way the polys aren't joined, or maybe they aren't actually polys. I'm not familiar with the FSDS terminology. Do you see what I mean though?
Attachments
barra_gaps.PNG
Close up of a gap.
(6.46 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
barra_with_DDS._below.PNG
When viewed from below, bits seem to disappear, as though they are lines rather than polys / faces.
(67.43 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
barra_with_DDS_gaps.PNG
You can see what I mean about gaps from this one
(116.96 KiB) Downloaded 578 times

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Here is H1 at Thurleigh from below in MCX, its solid (or not transparent) regardless of how you spin it.
Attachments
egvw_h1_below.PNG
(210.67 KiB) Downloaded 575 times

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for that Ben,
Whenever possible, I always delete the polygons that normally can't be seen, eg floors, ceilings, internal walls, hidden ends of pipes. It hasn't caused a problem previously. It is my way of minimising polys. Did it on those radar bits for Dave.
That gap between the terminal roof gable end and the lower wall was initially to stop the wall texture from spreading itself up the gable. They are two distinct parts. I eventually had to use a polygon texture on the lower wall anyway (3 windows in a row). I'll align those surfaces. I'll also look into that repeat roof texture BMP/DDS
12:28am right now, enjoy your day, need to sleep. Grandson birthday tomorrow, going to watch him play soccer. Will return to this Sunday night.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

No problem Mike. I don't really understand the polys in FSDS or Max, that's why sketchup and I get along so well, rectangular walls don't have to be made up of triangles and I can just pick the texture I want and use the paint pot to pour it on that surface. I was initially worried it would hammer frame rates etc as each dds file contains only one texture, but so far it seems to be reasonably frame friendly.

Hope the birthday goes well :thumbsup:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

After last week's 4-1 win, our grandson's team went down 15-0 today.
I think he must be training for the Socceroos. :dunno:

I spent another couple of hours tweaking and renaming Barra parts.
I think it's time to start from square one.

One thing that happened when I tried to "package" Barra from FSDS was that all the textures got trashed again.

Don't waste any more time on it Ben, I'll just do it again. :cpu:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

If you're sticking with FSDS mate I wouldn't trash it. It might be worth trying a different tool though to see if its any easier... Actually, that's made me think I can start making ships now in Sketchup (so long as they aren't animated) don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Sorry, got sidetracked there mike, but maybe give sketchup a go. Its free and if you've got a bit of time to learn the basic techniques, its fairly easy. I worked through the first 5 official video tutorials and that was me. And there are millions of people using it so lots of references. :cpu:

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I see you got the answer at Fsdeveloper, Mike. Don't use ampersands in texture names.
George