All steam and no towers!

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

All steam and no towers!

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps :)

While looking around for Rugeley B Pwr Station a few weeks ago.. I thought I'd found it.. minus the structure with only steam showing. I should have known better because I couldn't recall steam coming from the scenery I installed as I made it from a 3D Warehouse model and they don't generally come with effects :lol: Anyhoo.. I looked into why Rugeley was missing and to this day, I can't see why it wasn't showing. I must have done something as I got it to reappear again. Ah yes.. it may have been a conflict with UK ANO FSX. That might explain it. No sign of the steam *-)
I took off from Otherton yesterday and headed roughly in the direction of Lichfield when once more, the steam appeared but no Power Station underneath it. It obviously wasn't Rugeley as I'd passed that some minutes before so I headed for it and noted the position. It turns out to be the Power Station at Drakelow, South Derbyshire :-O

Does anyone know where this scenery has come from? I can't find mention of it in UK ANO (certainly nothing with the name Drakelow) nor can I see it as part of the GenX 3D objects :dunno: It's winding me up no end :rant: I don't mind having steam if there's a chimney underneath and I don't mind having a chimney without steam but just having steam is doing my head in!!! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: All steam and no towers!

Post by TSR2 »

Hi mate,

Just plonked the Merlin at R34 Otherton, what heading should I take and for what distance?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Scratch that, I think I've found what your after. I think that's Drakelow to the left and Rugeley to the right?
drakelow.PNG

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Distance wise.. that looks about right. Rugeley doesn't look like that and I guess Drakelow doesn't either but at least they're displaying. It seems that none of the Power Stations from UKANO are displaying on my setup although the effects are :dunno: The instructions say to put the files included in the downloaded Static Objects Library into your own SOL (which I did and have checked.. the files are still there!).. UK ANO FSX into Addon Scenery (which I did.. I see all the TV masts) and the effects into the effects folder. I know I see them! :lol: Bugger.. wonder what the F is going on then *-) The SOL was installed first (higher number) followed by UKANO. I see the TV masts, effects off the power stations but absolutely no cooling towers :wall:

By a process of elimination, I de-selected UKANO while in sim and the effects above Drakelow disappeared so it has to be something with the UKANO install. I think Drakelow may well be listed as West Burton which in the grand scale of things, I guess it is but why the hell not call it Drakelow :dunno: They could have called Didcot 'West Reading' but they called it Didcot 8) I've just renamed West Burton effects to bak and am heading out there to see if the smoke has gone :)

Oh.. Drakelow is N52 46.24 W1 38.90 (in FSX)

EDIT.. Rugeley B has 4 towers plus a chimley.. Drakelow has 6 towers and should have 2 chimleys. Dunno if the chimneys are included though :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mate,

my install is slightly different. I have a folder called VFR Objects and in that I have a scenery and a texture folder. STACK_WestBurton.BGL is in there with the others and shows fine :dunno:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. *-)

It's definitely West Burton (HA!) that I was seeing smoke off. Having returned to it with the effects bak'd.. they're no longer visible. I've put some towers from the ES_Industrial library there for the time being (no smoke versions). Problem now is finding out why none of them display *-) I may just chuck em all into the UKANO folder anyway.. can't see why the heck they have to be elsewhere :dunno:

Tks for checking matey :thumbsup:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I've re-downloaded the file from Allnodes this time and using the same install instructions, the cooling towers still don't display. I'm jiggered if I know why. The ANO library doesn't contain any cooling towers (just masts) and looking at the tower bgl's in MCX.. it says there's no model so I'm presuming they're just location bgl's. WTF are the cooling tower models then?? :dunno:

In the meantime, I changed the ES 'no steam' towers to the steam versions and have to say the effect is far superior to that in the UKANO set. It's just out of range in this shot.. (Rugeley B in the foreground courtesy 3D Warehouse)

Now.. if I knew how to add the ES steam to Rugeley B.. my life would be complete :lol:

Incidentally.. again while looking for RAF Portreath at Simviation, I stumbled over a number of files from the FSX Power Project Team. They also add power stations and tv masts but in addition, they add wind farms too. One thing I wasn't struck on was overwriting files in the Scenery folder (the main scenery folder that is) so I hung off with the install. I'd like to know why the UKANO stuff isn't showing first but the FSX Power Project stuff does seem to be a viable alternative :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

What version of the FSX Power Project where you looking at Dave? V4 seems to be current and doesn't "look" like it overwrites default files. *-)

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I think the latest is 4.3.. 4.2 is readily available. I'm sure the readme file quoted overwriting stuff in the main scenery folder.. hang on.. I dunno now and my dinner is going up in smoke. Back in a bit :lol:

I've decided I'm binning UKANO. I've farted around a lot with this and I still don't see the effin towers. Just been to Didcot and it's the same story.. steam but no towers :rant:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Just having a look at this, and I think I'll be giving it a go, I have noticed that Drakelow is in the "Demolished" folder in 4.2 so it may not appear :lol:

ImageImageImage