All steam and no towers!

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: All steam and no towers!

Post by DaveB »

As long as just steam doesn't show.. I don't care :lol:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well matey.. FSX Power Project v4.2 installed..

Here's Didcot where once there was only steam with UKANO. FSXPP use the good stuff like ES too :rock: It doesn't overwrite mate. It might only do that if you have an older version installed (v4 or maybe 4.1 for example). Off to look for windfarms now :lol:

EDIT: PANTS!.. no TV masts :wall: No problem.. I'll move all the towers and crud out of UKANO and leave only the TV masts :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yes mate,

I've put it in too and I'm quite impressed. I disregarded the instructions and created one folder, FSX Power Project, with a Scenery and Textures sub folder. Into the scenery folder went the contenets of all of the different scenery folders from V4.2. Ditto the texture folders. The effects went into the main effects folder without problem and its pretty good. I've spotted a duplicate in NI, but I'm not sure where the other Killroot power station is coming from, but I'll have a root around. :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You devil :lol:

The objects folder should be installed first and the other two above/after it :lol: Never mind.. if it works, who the hell cares ;) I'm gonna have a look at v4.3 which has a new library and a supposed increase in frames close to large windfarms.

On a slightly different note.. I was offered a new Nvidia driver yesterday so took it (as you do). This, unlike the last, doesn't seem to like FSX much. My FR's are the same but the smoothness I had before has now gone. FSXBooster is helping a little but I'm sure the display driver is the culprit :| First time I've noticed a degradation in FSX performance with a driver update.. suppose it had to happen some time. Fingers the next version sorts it out :cpu:

FSXPP ran amok over my Goonhilly btw. It's not touched Bude though ;)

EDIT: No v4.3. It was late when I looked last night :lol: The latest file is a scalable turbine for users to add their own ;)

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

This FSXPP is good stuff. Having looked through the files.. I've removed the power station at Rugeley (I prefer the 3D Warehouse version because it looks like Rugeley) but.. I left the effects file in place so I now have steam coming from those dormant towers :rock: OK.. it's not exactly in the right place if you get close but if you keep your distance, it works a treat! Likewise, I removed the Ironbridge files (Shawbury comes with Ironbridge) and all is well there too. All cooling tower refs removed from UKANO and UKANO reinstated.. I have TV masts back too. A good result all round :thumbsup:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

flybytes
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by flybytes »

FSX Power Project is currently at version 4.2.

Version 4.3 is being designed and should be released sometime this year.

FSXPP does not overwrite any default FSX files, although it does give instructions how to manually alter the effect.cfg file so that effects such as steam or smoke can be seen up to 20-miles rather than the FSX default of 7 to 8 miles.

I did have a chuckle when the FSXPP team was mentioned - unfortunately I am a one-man-band having to do the model design, research & scenery placement without help.

One final point, the FSXPP model library (& textures) are placed in the FSX/Global/scenery (texture) folders so that they can be accessed anywhere in the world allowing me to keep the project small i.e. less than 2 MBytes when zipped.

Regards,

Ray Porter.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks for dropping buy Ray. I think its one of those things that's easy to forget. I had the old ANO object for years, and every rebuild they were copied over again so never really looked for anything else. I'm really enjoying the FSXPP and its a permanent addition now. Thanks for all of your hard work :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

flybytes
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by flybytes »

TSR2/Ben,

Thanks for your kind reply, I note that you are located in Sunderland - the UK North-East has a relative scarcity of FSX scenery objects, as does my neck of the woods, East Riding of Yorkshire (which I've tried to address), although there is some nice freeware for Newcastle, you will find that FSXPP v4.3 does add some more objects in your area.

Back to the main gist of this series of posting - one of the many delays in releasing FSXPP v4.3 is my upgrade to its steam effects which look fine under windy conditions, but with zero or very low wind speed they do tend to have an icecream cornet look to them and a large effect on frame rates.

My aim in the steam effects is to replicate the way that the cooling tower steam spills out of the towers, yet also seems to rise up, adding to or even creating clouds - easy to do if frame rates are not an issue, but as we all know, frame rates are very much an issue in FSX. Hopefully I will have succeeded!

Ray.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ray :hello:

Yes.. cheers for popping in and welcome to this dusty corner of the interweb :lol:

As I think I put earlier, I stumbled over it by chance while looking for something completely different at Simviation. While Simviation have some good stuff, the download limit (unless you cough up) is a bit of a bind and as I've subscribed to Flightsim.com for years.. I don't feel so disposed to subscribe to a-n-other. I've since noted that some FSXPP files are at 'Allnodes' too but unlike years ago.. I don't go there now unless I want something (even though I still subscribe). I only use Simviation as a last resort.

That out of the way.. I'm glad my search took me to Simviation otherwise I'd have missed this gem. Thanks for the hard work you've put in thus far :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage