DCS Hawker Hunter progress

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveG
The Gurus

DCS Hawker Hunter progress

Post by DaveG »

Thought I'd start a thread to follow the conversion of the Hunter to DCS World.
So far, the external model only is in sim. Main animations are working, control surfaces, gear etc. No bump or spec maps yet. Some basic flight model parameters have now been added.
Using the Su25 VC for now.
Next job is to try and getting it flying something like a Hunter, then add the bump and spec maps, and sort out any other texture / material issues. Then it's adding weapons and the VC model.

Here's some screenshots so far.

Dave G.

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Re: DCS Hawker Hunter progress

Post by J0hn »

Yes - I like it :thumbsup:

Would you (if the intention is there) be thinking of an FC3 type cockpit - i.e. one with non-clickable controls that is operated by key or joystick button assignments, or a full DCS style clickable cockpit?

If at all, of course :)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I'd hope to do the full click-able cockpit if possible. The available info is a bit vague and all seems to be cobbled together by various users and modders rather than being a proper SDK. I'm sure that exists, but is only available to authorised 3rd parties and partners such as VEAO.
I've now got the bump and spec maps working. :thumbsup:
It's certainly a lot harder than FSX development! :lol:
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That's Class Dave. I may be tempted! I haven't looked into it at all, but is the whole thing download only? If so, what sort of size is it? (on the beach in Shields at the minute so haven't looked into it properly.) well done :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Yes, download only, either direct from the website in 6 chunks, via torrent or through Steam.
Total size is around 7.74gb. DCS World is free & you get the SU-25T Frogfoot and TF-51D Mustang included. All other modules are payware, apart from a few freeware mods like mine. Prices range from $10 to $50 or there abouts.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'm assuming there's ground scenery in it or is it just terrain? You were saying that there's no SDK as such, but is there many folk doing freeware for it, not just aircraft, but the other bits too (I.e. Airfields). Did you opt for Steam, or just torrent it?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

TBH, I'm not sure how much is available, or what the quality is like. Although I've had DCS for ages, I've never really used it much. Most mods seem to be texture enhancements & paint schemes, with a few mods to convert AI into flyable aircraft. I've only seen a handful of new aircraft, and most of those seem to be WIP. Haven't seen any scenery creation tools.
At the end of the day, it's a combat sim set in a small geographical area. It does what it does very well, but I can't see it becoming a world-wide, all purpose flightsim.
Dave G.

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Dave, have you had any contact with other freeware developers? There are quite a few around and they might be able to give you info you need?

As for terrain - all DCS did was change the old Lock On terrain by removing the Crimea and adding most, if not all, of Georgia.

With the next version comes the much-vaunted "NTTR" Nevada map, and with it the new terrain engine called "Edge".

I'm not that interested in Nevada (why would I want it?) but may be forced to if campaigns etc are written for it - which is highly likely. However, Edge will also bring further, 3rd party terrain with it, such as the WWII Normandy map and those planned by VEAO. Others are supposed to be following, such as a Korean War map. At the moment a lot of the supposed upcoming terrain is not guaranteed.

Also, there are several devs who make freeware add-on models for things like missiles and other ordnance ( a pack is supposed to be being released together with the MiG-21) and also ground vehicles.

You can also 'play' DCS World as an RTS (Real Time Strategy) game, playing the role of commander, and moving the various forces around the theatre to engage and defeat the enemy, with the "Combined Arms" module. This also enables you to jump into a number of tanks, FAC or anti-aircraft vehicles to participate in the combat or to act as a FAC for either AI aircraft or for other players on an online server. That's a great little feature. You can even move back and forward, between your ground vehicle and your aircraft!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Quite happy with the progress so far. It's funny how the simplest things turn out to be a right pain, whereas things that I would have thought would cause trouble work first time. :lol:

Nav lights are now working, but I can't get the beacon to show yet. Additional liveries have been added (6 so far). Cannon works, & other ordinance can be carried, but only dumb bombs drop at the moment.

Weapons in the screenshots are obviously test loadouts only! :lol:
Dave G.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Dave, nice work! Have you got any links to a how to? If I get a spare afternoon I'd like to try and get the Sea Fury in!