DH 90 WIP

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: DH 90 WIP

Post by Airspeed »

Good video Keith, thanks for the update.
Hats off to you! :thumbsup:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Hi Keith

I've recently downloaded your DH90 Dragonfly from Flightsim.com.
I deleted the Beta2 version (including the Effects file), Prior to installing.
This has fixed the 'solid' prop tips that I was seeing for 'EDU' in P3D (I know DaveG said that your latest Beta2 had fixed this, but I was still seeing it - I'd probably done something wrong with the install).
My only minor point is that with each 'Beta', I had a folder called 'DH90 Dragonfly' in my 'SimObjects/Airplanes' folder. The current release gives me a folder called 'FINAL release' (the aircraft show correctly in the 'Select Vehicle' (P3D) window). This is not meant in any way as a criticism, but may cause confusion when later trying to add re-paints.
Thanks once again for the hard work and the hours that you have put into this project.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Kevin, So it does...Drat....put it down to my increasing senility please, & I hope it doesn't confuse too many people!

Thank you also for your Beta comments. I've always liked the looks of that aircraft ever since I first saw one at Blackbushe, probably in the early 50's.
Keith

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Hi Keith

sorry for my late reply.
It's easily done, focusing on the fine details and overlooking the obvious.
This s not meant as a criticism, believe me , I've done it several times, working under ISO 9001 conditions writing SOP's, manufacturing batch instructions etc.
It's easy enough to rename the folder and think the majority of FS users will know how to do this.
What is important, is the wonderful FS addon that you have given us.
The first time I saw a DH 90 (as far as I recall), was at Duxford Flying Legends 2008. G-AEDU to be precise. I thought it to be one of the prettiest aeroplanes I'd seen. You have captured that perfectly.
I'm very happy to be one of the 'Beta Testers'.

Thanks Keith

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Had a nice flight from Shoreham to Redhill this am but two warnings to prospective Dragonfly pilots....

(1) Read the ReadMe : the description of trim response to flap deployment is not exaggerated.

(2) Don't make the mistake of stalling. The right wing drops viciously if you are foolish enough to let the speed drop too low.

Great model though.. :thumbsup:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

JohnWillimas wrote:Had a nice flight from Shoreham to Redhill this am but two warnings to prospective Dragonfly pilots....

(1) Read the ReadMe : the description of trim response to flap deployment is not exaggerated.

(2) Don't make the mistake of stalling. The right wing drops viciously if you are foolish enough to let the speed drop too low.

Great model though.. :thumbsup:
Thanks John.
The stall maybe not quite correct; a contemporary write up in Flight Mag for 19th March 1936 said it has a gentle stall without wing drop, but also note that the placard in 'EDU gives the minimum control speed of 72 mph! The Flight test in Pilot Mag of January 2014 is not very explicit on the stall, but the flap trim is noted in both reports! If one is aware of the wing drop it is containable - just - using rudder & aileron! I've just checked it out at aft C of G so it might be a bit better in the flight test conditions of light weight & fwd C of G.
Keith

Edit:
It seems to have a more gentle stall with C of G fwd (i.e. Pilot + Co-pilot & zero fuel in centre tank), but still can drop a wing! Both tests in FS9.
K

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Dev One wrote: It seems to have a more gentle stall with C of G fwd (i.e. Pilot + Co-pilot & zero fuel in centre tank), but still can drop a wing! Both tests in FS9.
K
Yes, I'd certainly agree with this, though my flights were in FS-X.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Found a Pre WWII flight report that made no comment about a sharp wing drop, so presumably a 'normal' gentle stall response. I have therefore modified the FDE .air file suitably as well as changing the elevator & rudder effectivity at high AoA, so she is a bit more 'lady-like' as befits her age! This update is now available at FlightSim.
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Yer getting soft in yer old age Keith . :lol:
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Yes, & not ashamed to admit it! Must be all those pills I'm taking!
Keith