SAMM2 question

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

SAMM2 question

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps :hello:

I dug SAMM2 out of retirement again yesterday to make a static of an FS9 flying model for FSX. It worked, as it always has, but I don't see a shadow under the model (which I never have) :wall:
Those of you 'au fait' with it know that in the Shadow section.. there are options for default (which I've always used), None (which I've never used as I've always wanted to see a shadow) and Custom which allows you to change the LOD at which a shadow is displayed. Have any of you actually ever got SAMM to add a shadow to a model or have I got the whole shadow 'thing' wrong?

Any comment.. positive or negative most welcome :cpu:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: SAMM2 question

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave, :hello:
I'll have to ask for a day or so before replying.
I've been data inputting all b day for a non profit outfit which I volunteer with, and I'm number (as in more numb, not as in No.) than usual upstairs.
Be glad to check it out ASAP. ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Mike :hello:

DG has had a read of the manual and he's of the opinion that the shadow section refers to FS generated shadows.. that is, if you have scenery casts shadows ticked or not. I assumed it meant it could generate shadows but that seems to have been my misunderstanding rather than a fault with the program. Darned disappointing as aircraft models look pony without a shadow.

You recover from your volunteer work mate and let this slide. DG is going to look at another option but I can't say any more than that as it may not work :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

OK, I read what you said.

For what it's worth, Dave;
I pulled the ACG Rapide into SAMM2.03(?)
Imported it to MCX, where I found:
OPTIONS
--Shadow colour [which was not pure black btw]

and from the toolbar, there's a yellow box with shadow drawn under it, which toggles display shadow ON/OFF
this clearly showed a good shadow under the a/c.
I didn't follow it all the way through to placing it and viewing, but if you can see a shadow at this point, and it's gone by the time you get to FSX, let me know, and I'll see what I can reproduce here. ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. very interesting *-)

So.. you pulled it through Samm2 and ticked the shadow default option (or left it where it was which is default) then pulled the end result into MCX where it displayed a shadow? Try and drop it into FSX and see what pops up (note.. I have scenery cast shadows turned off as I don't care for it much).
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Blimey after all these years and you had me looking to see what SAMM2 was all about. No use to me of course but learned something new today. :S
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I've not been in the club that long either mate.. 3years or so. It works as prescribed but has a manual the size of a telephone directory. Unfortunately.. I get bored with anything more than 2 pages :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

:(
I Tried placing the bgl with MCX, then went there (70 N 70 W) It was hilly, snowy, but no Rapide at zero AGL. :doh: I haven't used it since I fell in love with Instant Scenery, so I'm rather rusty right now.
I just noticed that your comment above..... makes me think about your static a/c being scenery....then you ask it not to show scenery shadows........then you say I don't have shadows....... *-)
Let me think that through again.......have you tried turning scenery shadows on yet?
They're always on in my setup, btw.
I'll await your response before I worry my pretty little head again. :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

OK Mike :lol:

The thing is this..
[/Someb] static models have ground shadows 'built-in'. If you have any of the newer VFR Airfields from UK2000.. you'll know what I mean. Gary started adding shadows to his statics because a) he learned how to do it and b) he doesn't like the effect that having 'scenery cast shadows' gives in FSX. Neither do I so I have it ticked off :lol:

Now.. I presumed that SAMMS 'shadow' function could do this for static models. However.. it doesn't. What it appears to do is either enable FS to cast a shadow from a model (with scenery cast shadows ticked).. inhibit FS from casting a shadow from a model (with scenery cast shadows ticked) or.. let you link an FS produced shadow to a LOD (with scenery cast shadows ticked).

Sri if I've confused you but after reading your post above.. it suggested that SAMM can add a visual shadow to a model with 'scenery cast shadows' turned off. I'm pretty sure now that it doesn't. I didn't mean for you to try and place the saved 'with shadow' model with SAMM.. IS will do though I think I know what the result will be already ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage