BLACKBURN B2

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Re: BLACKBURN B2

Post by T6flyer »

Have asked around and even with the reply of a Shuttleworth Engineer no one seems to know.......most think its either fuel, but not sure myself or carb heat.

Some replies are shall we say a little bit more interesting......."For switching something off and on", "It's an on / off switch. Isn't that obvious??", " Warp speed engines??", and the best one "Flux capacitor switch?".

I have somewhere an Aircraft Illustrated report on flying the B2 and knew of one in a copy of Pilot too. Will look out for these over the weekend. Someone surely must know.

Cheers,

Martin

Quite enjoying getting back into this kind of thing, makes a pleasant change from working on the A2A T-6 project.

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Hmmm, yes - had there been a simple obvious answer I wouldn't have asked, Martin :hide: ;)
My suspicion is that it's the fuel cut-off switch but that then raises the question of what was wrong with the normal arrangement of a tap just under the fuel feed point from the tank.
Leave it with you - plenty of time as there's lots left to build yet on the model.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I would say its logically the fuel valve, just think where the Tiger Moth's is.......
Keith

[edit] Looking at some of the photos on the internet I can follow the fuel pipe down from the tank & into the fuselage at about the same level as the red ON/OFF lever. I might ask though what the yellow levers are in the cockpit, possibly mixture levers?, the other red ones presumably are throttles. Looks as if BAE have gone mad with the paint, not sure it would have been like that originally!
K

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

This photo might clarify things Keith -
Two tubes are shown - the thicker one is clearly the fuel pipe .The thinner one looks to me like a Bowden cable to turn a small fuel tap. This is what I think is operated by the cockpit red lever.....maybe :worried:
Here's a shot of a lower view in the cockpit -
I think the red levers are the throttle controls twinned by the grey rods just visible on the front bulkhead and the green push/pull link rods. There are no corresponding links visible for the yellow controls, indeed, other photos show them to be disconnected. If ,as suspected, they are the mixture controls then either a) the particular engine setup has automixture fitted or b) the ability to weaken the mixture is not thought needed or desirable for the type of use the aircraft is put to.
Interesting. *-)
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Now I hadn't spotted what looks like a Bowden cable, so yes logical in a way, but why then route the fuel line through the cockpit?
Mixture control, might depend upon the mark of Gipsy possibly?
Keith

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Apart from modelling issues, for practical purposes hopefully someone among the Shuttleworth pilots will know the answer.

Otherwise don't stand under the B2 if it goes quiet in flight. :hide:

Thinking about it, if it was a fuel switch the engine would be fairly quiet all the time which might give the engineers a clue as to the purpose of it.

If it was a carb heat control, and the plane keeps inside a cosy hangar in the chilly months and merely potters round Old Warden in the summer - then you may never need to twiddle with it. So to speak.

Said all along that you should have modelled the Parnall Elf, easier paint scheme an' all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Yes Allan, I doubt if it would need a carb. heat control in its current use - first hint of anything other than a barmy evening's weather and it would be back under its cozy blanket toot sweet. :agree:
I looked seriously at the Elf but shelved it for a while at least because it is far too much like the Avro Avian.
The engine fitted to the B2 Keith is Gipsy Major 1.
Dave M(oly)

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Problem solved, thanks to a kind gentleman over on the FlyPast forum. It is the fuel on-off lever. It operates a Bowden cable to the fuel valve.

Martin

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Thanks Martin ;) missed this post whilst on holiday, so I can now complete that part.
Dave M(oly)

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Time for a progress report -
Both these screen-shots are taken of the aircraft in FSX.
The aircraft is essentially completed apart from a few 'twiddly bits' , but then the devil is in the detail so it's not time to clear a space in the hangar just yet.
Dave M(oly)