B.P. DEFIANT BETA TEST TIME

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Re: B.P. DEFIANT BETA TEST TIME

Post by Molyned »

Hm - had a good look Mike and got as far as Users/Roaming but there was nothing about Flightsim stuff in there at all.
Best advice I can give is not to 'peek behind the curtains' but just run Flightsim and enjoy it for what it is. Unless you're a Dev of course.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Dave,
You will need to change your 'hidden' files setting, you should then see 'Application Data' (probably greyed out, but clickable) & then FSX & FS9.cfg files.
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

My problem has spread over a couple of posts, and mingled with other stuff, so I've selected these bits for clarity, hoping that somebody can help.
I have now downloaded a hex editor, but since my computer and the net say that the objects don't exist, I do not know which file I should decode.
As I suspect the payware Barra, should it be the .bgl file?

".......Now that I've amended the correct copy, I'm getting the alert. :cpu: :agree:

:doh: But before I had even gone to select the Defiant, I was presented with about 20 missing objects each with its own cute 35 character name.
I wrote details of the first four, so that I can try to find them; possibly the bits of Payware Barra that I didn't like.
This was my second concern spelt out above. If so, I'll need to learn about that hex editing trick, or live with the knowledge that I'm carrying a swag of dead weight.
It has opened my eyes (see above) and probably explains why FSX takes so long to load up for me.
........EDIT 18:25hrs.....Aaaarghhh! none of them can be found on my computer. :help: I'll look on line and see if they pop up. :|
edit 18:33hrs..... :help: couldn't turn up any on the net either. Weird."

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

The only need for a hex editor that I have seen is in the .air files where there is an option to change values. I have never used a hex editor so there's no help I can give. My FSX takes ages to load, but if its due to having unused items that I no longer need, thats quite possible during my development of aircraft & I'd have one heck of a job to clear all those out!!!
Good luck
Keith

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Unfortunately a Hex editor will not help. GUIDs are printed differently from how they are stored.

Post one of them and I will see if I can find it.
George

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Keith & George.
Will not help? I agree:
I did open the Barra .bgl The hex editor made some bits readable. It listed offsets followed by a line of pairs of characters, followed by indecipherable characters, which I've always thought of as "machine language"
None of the lines coincided with the four objects which I had recorded.

And so to George's bit.
Here are two to choose from, George:
13FA4093-A520-41AD-9C3A-C4EECB16D7DA
38054AC7-1EBE-40A2-B30A-EB6EC7514B5E
Many thanks for your reply.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Sorry Mike, I don't have either of those models on my system, neither do I have any placement files for them.
George

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thank you for looking, George.
If something is calling for these objects, shouldn't that call show up as text when a search is made?
Maybe "hex coding" (?) makes them invisible to Windows search?

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Airspeed wrote:Thank you for looking, George.
If something is calling for these objects, shouldn't that call show up as text when a search is made?
Maybe "hex coding" (?) makes them invisible to Windows search?
See "Text encoding" at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_ ... identifier
For the first three fields, the most significant digit is on the left. The last two fields are treated as eight separate bytes, each having their most significant digit on the left, and they follow each other from left to right. Note that the digit order of the fourth field may be unexpected, since it is treated differently from the other fields in the structure
George