B.P. DEFIANT BETA TEST TIME

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

B.P. DEFIANT BETA TEST TIME

Post by Molyned »

Yes - I'm asking for some kind folks to beta-test my latest model - the Boulton Paul Defiant. Get it here -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/54ryffjn93yzt ... t.zip?dl=0

This is an FS9 model but works quite well in FSX.
Please give it a flight trial and report in this thread ensuring that you state whether you tested it in FS9 or FSX. There are some notes etc. to help you with the aircraft - if read :-O
Thanks...
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: B.P. DEFIANT BETA TEST TIME

Post by Scorpius »

This is lovely to fly! Been belting around West Sussex in her!

Report to follow, will try in P3DV3 as well as FS9.

Nev

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Seeing as I'm listed in the Readme....yes I did read it!
Here is my initial response for FS9.

Modelling very good, like the animations & nodding personnel. Only fault I've noticed is with the undercart doors: the Stbd ones are proud & the port ones are inside the wing profile when retracted.

Take off very quick, probably too quick. Cruise at zero boost, 2650 rpm 185/190 KIAS @ 1000', which also seems too fast after referring to the provided performance data.
Stall too low, clean about 70 KIAS & about 60 all out. Brakes very fierce, will nose over during landing & at max rpm with brakes on also.
Rad temperature tooltip is fixed at 96°C, although needle varies with shutter open/closed.
Using AFSD HP shows 1280 HP at take-off, not possible according to Wiki for a Merlin III, should be 880 @ 3000 rpm & if using 87 octane + 6 psi gives 1030 HP at 9000'. Trouble is I don't know how to fix that to give altitude/HP/boost variation......
A Merlin XX is supposed to give 1280 HP at Take off & should give 1490 with + 16 psi at 12500' using 100 octane.
She flies very nicely, although trimming takes a bit of fiddling to get her S+L & very speed dependant. Landing seems easy & straight forward. Not yet tried any Aeros.

Will try her in FSX sp2 later today after visitor departed. ( I took Acceleration off during a re install recently, although I thought I had Accel on my laptop, it seems (thanks to M$?) to have sync'ed with the tower!)
Keith

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Gave her a quick try in P3D3.1, worked well. One thing to note in p3d the value under

title=

Shows as the title in the default aircraft list, you might want something more descriptive than BP Defiant, maybe spell it all the way out.
And take credit for your work, add

ui_createdby=
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave,
First impressions in FSX Acceleration:
Got to love that code; AFV!
Have to agree that this machine seems to take off a little too easily, it starts rolling at low RPM. This may be part of rapid response requirements. It is wearing a defence of the realm band, after all! [not read manual yet]
In my sim, whilst the tail wheel sits nicely, the main wheels float a bit above the runway.
OK, I didn't read the manual yet, but found that it needs a bootful of right rudder to stop it careering off the left side of the runway.
Overall appearance is lovely.
That stbd u/c door bothered me a bit, too. Only a pixel or two nudge would fix it. It needs lateral as well as vertical move.
Previous comment on port may well be right, but it did not trouble me so much.
IMHO the lights are too bright. In daylight, the wing nav lights can easily be seen from behind the aircraft.
I could cycle the landing lights through off, one on, two on. Manual probably says this is so, but again, they can be seen from behind in broad daylight.
From the front, the white tail light is very evident.
I had no issues with oil temp or pressure gauges, and the RAD seemed to respond OK.
Single stage flaps, is this correct?
I liked all the animations, including the crew step that appears with open cockpit.
Like a certain imbrella - equiped lady, it's practically perfect. :)

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Tried this in FS-X Acceleration and seems fine. Very enjoyable to fly and "feels" believable.

Only comment is that, when adding power, the cockpit canopy seems to move independently of the fuselage. This is most noticeable with the transverse frame where it meets the fuselage over the elevator trim indicator. Frame seems to sway forward when accelerating and back when reducing speed....

Hope this helps... :)

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

FSXA.

Two missing textures:

FULMAR-EXTCOCKPITS_T.BMP

FULMAR-INT_T.BMP
George

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

FSX sp2: Same comments as FS9 for me.
Do not need to change the glass textures.
Bootfull of right rudder not a problem, same as a Spitfire, although she does drift to the left in S+L flight in both FS9 & FSX sp2, but not adjusted rudder trim.
Canopy movement not noticed during acceleration/deceleration, but then I have disabled that 'G' effect in FSX.cfg.
Experimenting with engine parameters, just for the H**l of it as usual, just in case I can learn something!
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Thanks for all the comments guys - I've been engaged in essential activities today, unassociated with flightsim stuff, so haven't been able to check stuff out much yet. :|
Tomorrow should allow me more time because SWMBO is out all day ;) :) so will report later.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I downloaded, but haven't had chance to look it it yet. Been away for a few days, & now updating P3d to v3.2. :lol:
Dave G.