COMPER STREAK BETA TESTERS PLEASE

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

COMPER STREAK BETA TESTERS PLEASE

Post by Dev One »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atq3sieb3nwxf ... k.zip?dl=0

You should find it in my Dropbox.
Works OK for me in FS9, FSXA, & FSX sp2.
Comments please here & state version used. Note that there are two panels, one for FS9 t'other for FSX because of the necessary linking for the Contact call.
readme notes problems with starting in FSX for me, do you get the same?
Hopefully happy flying.....
Thanks
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Re: COMPER STREAK BETA TESTERS PLEASE

Post by Molyned »

Got it thanks Keith - reports to follow ..... :OB:
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

A curious but frisky little beast - lacks Bunty'squirky charm though!

Initial handling seems quite benign in FS9, may get a quick squint in X before West Hampnett calls.

Glad you modelled post flutter. :)

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Tested it in P3d v3. Looking forward the propeller disk is dark gray but you can still see through it, can barely see it when looking from the front.

I also got the message when loading:

Config File Not Found:
E:\Program files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Comper Streak\Panel\Cockpit_sounds\Cockpit_sound.ini

Using Default:
c:\users\joe\Custom_aircraft\SimObjects\Airplanes\Comper Streak\panel\dsd_fsx_xmk_sound.ini

FYI: I have P3D and FSX installed on one drive and they both load the folder for my custom aircraft which is on a different drive.

Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thank you Keith! :thumbsup:
Ran this in FSX Acceleration.
I enjoyed the old instruments, and the chain & sprocket action for the u/c. Nice to see the slack in the appropriate section of chain. ;)
I had no problems with the propellor rendering from any angle.
I found that the elevator trim needed to be fully back to fly straight & level at the suggested cruising RPM.
The RPM seems to remain too high when the throttle is backed off. Whether this results from the racing shape forcing the prop to keep up with the airframe speed, I'm unsure. I did find it difficult to slow up though.
I can see why it failed to match the required race speed. It just manages to hit 180mph in level flight, flat out.
Cheers

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Gents, Thank you for your initial replies.
AllanL: Yes she is quite benign but can catch you out on landing, if too slow will drop out of the sky, if too fast it will not slow down!!!
Joe:
Thank you for trying in P3D, I will try to change the prop disc aft side as I did for my Piston Provost. As for the error message, did you still hear the call of 'Contact' when starting the engine using the RH magneto? If not then can I suggest that you insert in the panel.cfg file [Vcockpit01], gauge00= your link line you posted for disc E in lieu of the existing one, & see if that works for you, otherwise I'm not able to help, not having P3D. Quick thought whilst writing this - could you please try removing the 'propbak_T.bmp' texture from the texture folder & see if that improves the visibility through the disc; alternatively change the black to a lighter shade of grey?

Mike: Interested in your comment about elev trim at 2000 rpm, what airspeed did you get? If below about 140 then I would agree as she seems to be very critical on attitude, possibly because I upped the induced drag to try & get her to slow down.
On my rig I only need to trim +/- about 0.2° of trim in cruise & up to max speed, but a lot more in the approach.
As for obtaining the speeds I had to fiddle lots of things to get it to my guess of 180 flat out, & cruise of 160 came out of that. Having said that the Miles Sparrowhawk was similar & his M13 Hobby couldn't get much more & that was with the same engine although with a VP prop!
Throttle closed: I found I need to open & close the throttle again in order to get the rpm down, thought it was just a snag on my system, I wonder why..... I find though prop in FS doesn't seem to give the correct amount of resistance with throttle closed as in the real world.(Thinks- Wonder if I have to play with the engine friction curves?)
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Keith,
At 2000RPM, she was cruising very close to the 150mph noted on the placard. I felt that this, coupled with the 180 max level speed showed that you had tweaked the numbers expertly.
I can vouch for the rapid descent on landing; trying to slow up, I dropped the throttle right back while only a few feet off the runway. The fascinating climb/descent indicator read -15 when I crashed. :$ :lol:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Mike,
Thank you for your quick reply, I have just flown her again in FSXA & have to agree with you re: elev trim amount, I found she needs +7° in cruise, so a lot more than FS9 which is where I did all my development. I have also done a quick try to improve engine braking when throttled back & I can get a good effect by changing the mid values in the .air file table 508. Going to do some more fiddling, then will post results in a revised air file & maybe a revised aircraft.cfg for FSX.
Regards
Keith

P.S. Chain slack - that really was bad animation at the start, not intended to be as noticeable as it is, but I didn't want to reanimate all 100+ links again!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9w31ybqbxppy ... bQyva?dl=0

Here is an update for the Beta Streak. I have modified table 508 so that it gives negative Horse power mid range rpm, & I find it helps with reducing speed on throttle closure. It helps even more if you let it climb whilst slowing down!
There is an associated modified aircraft.cfg that cleans up all of my remmed values & it also renames the sim to the new one. So rename your existing aircraft.cfg or save elsewhere, then replace with this one. The old .air file can remain if you like.

Now for some reason I find that there is very little difference in trimming her to level flight at cruise between FSX & FS9, both seem to be within +/- 1° range, one just has to wait for her to settle from the very slow responding phugoid, or help it by nudging gently the joystick.

Hoping this helps
Regards
Keith

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I'm away from home at the moment so can't test I'm afraid. The problems with P3d not being able to find the sound.ini is fairly common. I think there is either a bug in P3d or the sound gauge isn't totally compatible, even if the paths in the ini are correct. There is an updated version of the gauge but I'm not sure if it's generally available.
Dave G.