BETA testers for my HENDY 302 please

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: BETA testers for my HENDY 302 please

Post by Dev One »

:-O OOOPs!
Keith

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Maybe it belongs to Peter Watkins. :dunno: ;) Poor Peter. This one off aircraft is really going to limit his repaint possibilities. :lol:

Brian

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

But maybe my next will test his B+W colour interpretation to the limit- there were 22 of them built, but with 3 different engine types; Gipsy Majors, Napier Javellins & Cirrus Hermes IV, in fact a logical development of the Hendy - the D type Percival Gull.
Keith

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

That'll keep him busy. :lol: Can't wait to see the Gull. :)

Brian

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Just a few points : ( FS9 used )

1. I find it impossible to see the compass either in normal view or in virtual cockpit

2.The spinning behaviour is curious : I found that it would spin fairly consistently provided near full throttle was maintained, but the moment the throttle is shut, it falls out of the spin into a straight dive . If a spin is attempted with ( as it should be ) the throttle shut, it goes through about 90 degs of a spin and then adopts a straight stalled attitude . I was not able to demonstrate wing drop off a climbing turn in either direction

3.I found that with power on , it was possible to land it in a 3 point attitude at negligible IAS ( less than 20mph ) provided the stall was only initiated very close to the ground

An interesting little aeroplane

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Compass position - difficult to see because of the 'fixed' eye point in FS9 & FSX, but in a real aircraft, Proctor for example, its easy to adjust & to see, 'cos one can bend forward & from side to side. I have given a pop-up on the Compass card/Icon.
Spinning, I do it power off, but do not initiate until below 30 mph in a very high AoA attitude, just needs full rudder. One does though have to be quick on the opposite rudder as one can then enter a spin in the other direction.
Not tried a power on stall.....interesting, or dropping a wing in a climbing turn!
Thank you for your feedback. BTW what frame rate are you set for, & did you get any 'square wheel'/bounce problem?
Keith

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Keith. Frame rate limited to 42, and I noticed no great diminution below this even though my system is now pretty primitive. I'm afraid my stalls off climbing turns came from my past ..when I was an FI ( predominantly on Cessnas ) our CFI had a fetish for such stalls - and insisted we always taught them because they taught the student a good deal about control because it was impossible to predict which wing would drop. Usually it was the outer wing in the turn , but perhaps 1 in 4 would drop the inner wing with more dramatic consequences. Because this was much less predictable than with a spin , recovery from this taught students more and gave them more confidence that they could cope with anything the aeroplane threw at them

I did get one feeling of "square wheels" on a very low speed landing !

Thanks for a lovely little craft

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I realize that this is an FS9 model and the reflectiveness issues in P3D is outside the scope of the project, but as a lesson in repainting, how would I add that to the textures
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Joe, Yes if anyone can help on that matter I would be happy to participate, but will need someone who can test in P3D.

BTW - following all comments from here & elsewhere I am attempting to revise the FDE so that stable stalls & spins over the large C of G range can be accomplished - might have to fiddle the C of G? Will keep you posted when I find the golden rivet!!! It seems to be a difficult aircraft - not had this much trouble before & Airwrench no real help either!
Keith

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Out of curiosity, how are you setting the dynamics to simulate spinning - given the limitations of FS9 ?

Might this be what is giving you headaches in the flight dynamics?