Visual Problem with Gloster E.28/39

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Visual Problem with Gloster E.28/39

Post by FlyTexas »

I'm using FSX and have downloaded a FS2004 model of the Gloster E.28/39. I'm seeing a problem around the instrument panel. When viewed from the rear I see a transparent rectangle jutting through the fuselage near the instrument panel. :dunno:

When viewed from the front I see no such rectangle. *-)

Has anyone seen an issue such as this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Brian

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Visual Problem with Gloster E.28/39

Post by Dev One »

I used to get this problem with my models! - its the 'projection screen' for displaying the instruments. I now shape my screens to the fuselage inside shape. Can only be fixed in the .mdl, or Gmax if used.
Keith

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

It looks like the 2D gauges have been placed on a rectangular poly, the corners of which stick out beyond the fuselage in external view. You will only see it when looking from the rear of the aircraft towards the front as it is single sided and hence invisible when viewed from the front.

The reason you are seeing it in FSX is down to the way FSX handles transparency compared to FS9. It also looks like the canopy/windshield glass is disappearing when viewed from the rear for the same reason.

You could try finding the gauge poly texture in the panel folder then make sure the colour of the poly is pure black (0,0,0) and look at the alpha channel to see what colour it is. If it is white make it pure black and vice versa. The glass might not be quite so easy to fix as it would depend on how the material was assigned in the modelling program.
Larry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Well it looks like the fix would require reworking the source files. Monkeying with the texture files did not cure the issue. :( It's a shame because I really like the 'what if' paints for this aircraft. Thanks for the help everyone. :hello:

Brian