PERCIVAL VEGA GULL - BETA TESTERS PLEASE

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

PERCIVAL VEGA GULL - BETA TESTERS PLEASE

Post by Dev One »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxcea6z6957r1 ... l.zip?dl=0

https://postimg.org/image/rb16x9spl/
https://postimg.org/image/5busa2jl5/

This model is for the K2 or series 2 Vega Gulls that were fitted with the Gipsy Six II & VP prop, Later on fitted with the improved Gipsy Queen II & Constant speed prop. Not sure whether to produce a series one fixed pitch prop version...

2048 x 2048 textures are included for FSX users.
Comments here please
Keith

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: PERCIVAL VEGA GULL - BETA TESTERS PLEASE

Post by Vancouver »

Wow cannot blv I am the first commenter. Had a very brief flight before going out with SWMBO. It performed very steadily and seems fine although I am in the dark over real world figures. I did note that the Prop goes behind the clouds which was bearly noticeable. Prop pitch didn't seem to make any graphical difference. Nice little aircraft though.
Alex

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Excellent Keith - I have enjoyed a test flight in FS9 around the county although I used Summer wx rather than the snowy real landscape . :|
Just three comments on this build - 1) the V.C. mixture lever operates in reverse here - but I know it's how folks perceive it. 2) take a close look at the registration letters on the wings (from the V.C. for example) they are jagged as if you forgot to use anti-aliasing (they're OK on the 2048 pixels sheet.). 3) the V.C. windows turn quite cloudy at night (but are OK in FSX).
No great deals here - just shows I'm scratching around trying to find somethings to comment on this fine build. ;) . Oh - and it flies to the numbers.
Cheers & A.T.B for Christmas :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Alex, Thank you. Prop pitch is not animated, it needs oil pressure, therefore engine running, so would not see it graphically. Prop/clouds always an issue on a FS9 portover.
Must admit I am waiting a reply from current owner on performance figures he gets, flat out is correct (about 175 mph) but not sure of correct boost press for cruise, nor prop setting as reliant on M$ CSU programming there. Gipsy Six engines did not have CSU, but Gipsy Queens did. Otherwise performance data from Flight Global & David Gearing's book.

Dave thanks for your input - Anti-alias for characters is always selected, but for FS9 1024 is always a bugbear unless I increase the relative size within the texture sheet.
Mix lever, I presume you mean it moves in opposite sense to mouse direction? Need to create a new .xml in the makemdl......rather than use the SDK standard one.
Windows at night....yes its the one problem of texturing glass within Gmax rather than how you do it by texture mapping, if you follow my phrasing!

Christmas greeting to all
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Understood Keith - those pesky letters are always a compromise..
Re the mixture lever - try " lever_mixture_reversed " that is an existing standard component name. :agree:
I only apply a small amount of transparency to glass in GMax- the main effect is done on the alpha layer.
Cheers :party:
Dave M(oly)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Sorry about the lack of response, Keith.
d/l and installed, but FSXSE took about ten minutes to load, and when it did, I had no textures on the a/c, and many trees were black rectangles or stars. Nothing to do with your work, another symptom of my current rocky computer road.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Sorry to hear of your 'puter problem, I've been following your forum comments. It's so annoying when they just won't give up their secret!
DX10 comes to mind, or is that just FS9?
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Keith ;)
Well, that DX10 business changed the display; I've turned it off and I have your textures and no black box trees! :welldone:
I may be mistaken, but I thought that I used to have DX10 on. *-)
It still took forever to load; I noted 8 minutes from double-clicking the FS icon to the start screen, and another 18 to load the scenery before flight.
Having got there, the fps was fine and no delay in displaying textures when flipping internal/external views etc.
Enough of my stuff!
As I wasn't really expecting much from my setup, I'm afraid that I didn't read the pilots notes yet. :$
I found that I needed -10 elevator to fly level at 2400rpm.
The boost gauge went from full negative at idle, up to just below zero at full throttle. I have recently re-calibrated the yoke, but if nobody else has this situation, I may have to re-cal again. I did reset the flight, but the boost reading came back the same.
Noted that the rear passengers look aside when the rudder is applied, whilst the RHS occupant maintains forward concentration.
Bedtime now, I'll have a further test tomorrow after :rtfm:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

:rtfm: That will tell you a lot about the trim requirements - there is a big C of G change depending on passenger load, hence big trim change.
Boost gauge is reading correct, engine is not really supercharged & real world Gipsy Queens regularly only get -ve 1/4 psi flat out. Only aircraft known to have a positive boost reading is Miles Hawk Speed Six, DH Comet & Mew Gull, & even then only about 1/2 to +1 psi. (Depends upon the location of the carb intake). Boost gauge necessary to know how much throttle you have when fitted with a CSU equipped engine.
Co-pilot will move head with aileron......
Glad DX10 off fixed problem.
Loading time for FSXA & FSX sp2 is slow for me, have yet to time it, but not as long as yours. I have traffic set to zero, but most other settings are high to ultra high.
Sleep well, & pleasant dreams of happy landings.
Keith

P.S. Just timed FSXA at 30 sec, but has been used today, 1 min 20 for FSX sp2 (cold), both on Desktop & Laptop took 3 mins. What anti virus are you using....that might slow down loading if it checks each time...desktop uses Sophos, laptop AVG?
K

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Dave, thanks for the reversed tip, have done it & it's now correct.
Keith