AIRSPEED OXFORD - BETA TEST

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: AIRSPEED OXFORD - BETA TEST

Post by Paul K »

I have more photos of the Airspeed Oxford than I thought existed, or that I know what to do with.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Mike, Thank you for that page of the PN's, but it begs the question of how one can control the Boost & RPM with only the throttle lever? Looks as if it needs a complex engine set up for FS9/FSX, & not sure how to do that at the moment.
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Mike - You'll find the operating speeds in Part III, Operating Data of the pilots notes where they quote the recommended speed for max. range as 120 m.p.h.. It's that that I've quoted as the cruise speed.
As usual , different publications quote different speeds etc.
Keith has sent me his latest config & air files - testing is in progress - looking good so far. :Dance: He's also made some interesting observations which I'm attending to.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Paul K wrote:
02 May 2018, 10:36
I have more photos of the Airspeed Oxford than I thought existed, or that I know what to do with.
er-hum!
This raises many questions, Paul.
I'll restrict myself to one for now; would you like to sell some of your excess?
Molyned wrote:
02 May 2018, 21:07

Mike - You'll find the operating speeds in Part III, Operating Data of the pilots notes where they quote the recommended speed for max. range as 120 m.p.h.. It's that that I've quoted as the cruise speed.
As usual , different publications quote different speeds etc.
Keith has sent me his latest config & air files - testing is in progress - looking good so far. :Dance: He's also made some interesting observations which I'm attending to.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)
Yes, I've read the operating speeds, Dave, and you quoted them perfectly in your notes that come with the aircraft. :thumbsup:
I thought that as the prop size had been adjusted, and Keith is delving into the hidden mysteries of engine power etc, the RPMs may give him something else to go on. I have actually transcribed all my knowledge of FSX flight dynamics onto the head of a pin, which has since got mixed up with Mrs Airspeed's haberdashery collection. :doh:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I'm on the case.....
Have found the problem of the wrong reading Boost gauges - needle should be pointing east - will also change min indication so needle sits at correct indication according to the tooltip text which I've added. Then its setting the boost pressure in the config - needs to be in inches Hg not psi. Have got near the correct reading by setting max design mp to 33.75, & min to 20. These are just guess figures at the moment & need refining.
Now in flight one reduces the mix control to reduce power, so boost gauge falls, then play with throttle to get rpm, then fiddle again with mixture....etc. That way one can get the rpm at one value but have different boost & hence power......
What I now have to do is fiddle with the engine power curves - getting 500+ hp at the moment full throttle, then maybe the prop curves.......& possibly the induced drag.......
Interesting..... one learns things one doesn't know you needed to.....
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Hi Keith -
I assume that although the boost pressure in the config file should read be in mm Hg the gauges will still read in p.s.i.just like the real ones did.
All good stuff - keep up the fine tuning.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)
ps - I assume you know of the SpitfireSpares.com site - the design source for much of my gauges work.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Yes & Yes.
Keith

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Airspeed wrote:
03 May 2018, 07:56
Paul K wrote:
02 May 2018, 10:36
This raises many questions, Paul.
I'll restrict myself to one for now; would you like to sell some of your excess?
All digital photos Mike, sorry to mislead. I can zip them up for you, if you wish. There's some Consuls mixed in there too. :)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Paul,
No worries, sounds good. You may have some that escaped my attention.
Where could I d/l from, please?

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Airspeed wrote:
05 May 2018, 03:35
Hi Paul,
No worries, sounds good. You may have some that escaped my attention.
Where could I d/l from, please?

Hi Mike, ( and anyone else who wants 'em ) see if this works -

https://app.box.com/s/z42a3knnd9961gmbkj8i19mc4rsy9b81

The file is called Airspeed.zip, and as said, you will find Consuls, and maybe Envoys, included. The labels on the pictures might not be accurate - I just saved them as they came. Let me know if you have any problems. :)