AIRSPEED OXFORD - BETA TEST

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Re: AIRSPEED OXFORD - BETA TEST

Post by Molyned »

Dangerous for the Air Cadet, yes but not for the well-strapped in pilot ? :bandit:
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I had no idea you're a big Oxford fan, Mike. I guess we learn something new everyday. :lol: Do you have any Oxford bits in your aviation collection? Just curious.

Brian

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I have a few very early comments unfortunately.
I agree with Airspeed re the undercart, looking at some 3 views & photos on the internet the u/cart legs seem to be showing too much of the lower leg & the upper leg seems to be short. As for the wheel/tyre showing below the fuselage I think the tyre itself is too small in dia, although the hub appears correct size. Could possibly be a bit lower when retracted.
The wing leading edge looks as if it needs a bit of smoothing, seems jagged.
Pitch trim wheel seems to work in reverse of mouse direction & wheel mouse too.
Click elevator trim very coarse & pitch attitude very twitchy difficult to trim level flight.
When looking from outside to inside cockpit through bomb aimers window the central console wording is showing but in reverse!
Engine sound very crackly?
Airspeeds OK for me.
Brakes either need reducing or mainwheel contact points need moving forward, look a tiny bit aft in ACM.
Landing lights need a bit of fine tuning position seems a bit high.
Will look into trim problems in FDE in order to achieve credit in readme!!!
Only tried in FS9.
Like new young pilot.....
Didnt realise how different from Envoy it was - at least as far as undercart design if not elswhere.
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Thanks Keith - all good stuff .Yes, the undercarriage was beefed up presumably to accommodate the rough handling expected from the new pilots.
Mike (&Keith) I have now adjusted the undercarriage to show more wheel when retracted - can't go too far though.
I've rechecked the max airspeed and can achieve the required 163 Knts with full tanks and payload in level flight. I don't know if it will alter things much but I've adjusted the prop diameters to 7.35 ft - having found the real diameter of that prop.
Other stuff to be looked at later.
Glad you've sorted your problem Simon. :agree: ;)
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

FlyTexas wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 16:05
I had no idea you're a big Oxford fan, Mike. I guess we learn something new everyday. :lol: Do you have any Oxford bits in your aviation collection? Just curious.

Brian
Yes, Brian,
I have a pilot seat, which is definitely Oxford.
There's a photo in my museum (see link below) "My two favourites etc" on P1 of the Oxford section.
Many of the instruments I have, would have featured in the panel, especially the twin RPM indicator, which is in the photos "In the cabinet & around it" 27/34.
I made an Oxford myself in Aircraft Factory, then re-did it in FSDS, but it had so many bleed through errors that I never published it.
All that work, plus the panel, instrument faces and exterior textures are on a HD which failed. I tried to transfer the disk to another housing, but it didn't work. :doh:

Thanks for your extra work, Dave :thumbsup:
I'm glad that you did the MkII. BTW, are you also thinking of the turreted MkI for the future?

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Hi Mike -
I don't think I really know the differences between the MK1 and MK2 Oxfords. :$
As for the gun turret - 'fraid not, won't be modelling that because a)not enough polygons left without deleting interior stuff, up to 62,000 already, b) very few were fitted, and c) hate the look of the 'orrible thing :-O .The next one will be the Consul civi version.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Thanks for sharing pics of your Oxford goodies, Mike. :) And thanks also Dave for answering the question which I've yet to ask...Was there a civilian version of the Oxford. :lol:

Brian

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Think I've cracked the trim problem, but I have a BIG problem in getting it to cruise at 2100 rpm & a speed of 104 kts! I'm getting 143 Kts at 2000 rpm.
I note that Wiki quote the Consul cruises at 135 Kts. Is 104 a typo or the speed when fitted with a turret? Otherwise I will have to detune the engines a lot at 2000 - 2100 rpm. 2300 rpm is giving me 163 Kts.
Any ideas chaps?
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

No, Keith,
104Kts/120MPH is per the pilots notes, so not a typo.

Strangely, having struggled to attain a decent speed previously, I'm now having your problem of too much!
I don't know whether Dave already gave you this, but it may help in your tweaking:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Molyned wrote:
01 May 2018, 16:07
Hi Mike -
I don't think I really know the differences between the MK1 and MK2 Oxfords. :$
As for the gun turret - 'fraid not, won't be modelling that because a)not enough polygons left without deleting interior stuff, up to 62,000 already, b) very few were fitted, and c) hate the look of the 'orrible thing :-O .The next one will be the Consul civi version.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)
Hi Dave, the MkI had the turret, but you are correct in saying that there were less produced than the MkII.
The turret caused some undesirable flying effects.
I agree that it was not the best looking of the two Mks, that's why I'm glad that you did the MkII.