GLOSTER GLADIATORS BETA

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: GLOSTER GLADIATORS BETA

Post by DaveG »

Cheers Keith.
I've re-checked the materials, & somehow they are different between the two models. Sure I'd set both the same. :dunno: :wall:
Dave G.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Been there done that......... :wall:
Similar titles, but a lot different sizes of the Gladfuse.dds & Gladwings.dds. Only the prop blurred in the MkII is additional.
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Brian, though we often complain on this forum about background music, if we are to have any, how about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0 rather than your Valkyrie suggestion?
DaveM and DaveG are doing the heavy lifting, while mere mortals throw unhelpful comments from the sidelines. :$ :$

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Well, I think I've hit a brick wall with the VC mouse click spots. :wall:
I'm sure I know what the problem is, but it's something that needs to be changed in the original source model and can't, as far as I'm aware, be fixed afterwards. :dunno:
It's annoying as they work fine in P3d using the same mdl.
Dave G.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Its odd, because the mouse clicks work in the 2d panel. Is that because of the individual .xml code is in the panel folder whilst the VC code is in the FS9 makemdl as opposed to the FSX makemdl equivalent?
Would it work if you rewrote those special codes in your makemdl equivalent - or is P3D different again?
Or is this where the backwards compatibility falls over?
Keith

P.S. I have a feeling that Milton Shupe & co have to re-animate their FS9 models when converting to FSX.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

It's nothing to do with the animation code, is the way the actual model parts have been made. If the part was scaled then the mouse area won't work unless the scale is reset. For FS9 and P3d models this doesn't matter, its only FSX ones that are a problem.
Dave G.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Interesting - if the scale needs resetting Gmax warns me before compiling & I usually find that unless I do reset it, it will not compile & animate that part correctly.
Ah well looks like :wall: syndrome then!
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Forget my first over-optimistic post re. the new FSX conversion - I'd got it all wrong :$ :hide:
So, after copying the correct files, here are my latest findings -
1) I''ve checked & recompiled both my model MDLs andI get no 'reset scale' warnings just as Keith says. I 'always' do reset the scale after any alterations.

2) External canopy glass differences - the material is the same (ds_gladglass) but the texture Alphas are different!.Both need to use the ' windows-alpha bitmap' from the MK2 (the alpha on the MK1 is too light)

3) VC GLASS - both need' glass_VC.bmp' plus its 'glass_vc_ALPHA'

4) VC animations - I believe the coding headings needs slightly altering for FSX - not sure how yet. Oh, and all animations MUST be keyframed including props and tyres.

Just ask if you want the gmax aircraft files Dave.

More later ....
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

The glass, both exterior and VC, is no problem.
If it's not the scale problem then I don't know what it is. I'm sure it's not the code since some parts do work, although most don't. I did try swapping one of the offending mouse rect codes for a known working one but it still doesn't work.
The Gmax files are no good to me I'm afraid, 3ds won't open those.
I've spent much longer on this than I hoped to, especially as the P3d conversion works perfectly for me, so unless I can find a solution soon I'm going to have to abandon the FSX version and just stick with the P3D one.
Dave G.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Just as a side note, a little while ago I did import one of my Percivals from FS9 Gmax into FSX Gmax & found that the animations would not work & as DaveM said one needs to keyframe all animations, I did get the prop animated but the wingfold wouldn't. I then gave up as I don't understand the FSX xml makmdl syntax.
Not too much of a problem for the Gladiator for FSX users as it ports over very well.
I am now b****ered as my main 'puter has decided to quit & at the mo cannot see what is wrong.......will have to see if the HDD works in my old W7 machine as my current model is not backed up fully! :wall: :wall: :wall:
Keith