MSFS SDK

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: MSFS SDK

Post by TSR2 »

It was doing nothing, just generating a 1KB gltd file and the xml, no bin. I read through the instructions again and this time in addition to picking the albedo texture, I picked the comp and normal textures to the same texture file.

It wasnt compiling again.... but just discovered that the models xml file was reverting to the original version from the exporter (which has an error in it)

I think it was because OneDrive hadn't sync'd it properly. I now have a Mdl! Now I just need to place it :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

George, what modelling tool do you use? Is it 3DSMax?

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

The only one I have used is GMax :doh:

However, I use MCX to convert.

Currently I am totally lost in the SDK. I just don't understand the basics, projects, assets and the dev window.
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The folder structure is important, but half of the trouble is that different guides are advising slightly different folder structures. For example, I ended up copying my texture folder to 3 different locations because I wasn't sure which one would work.

Its not that either guide was wrong, they each did it slightly differently. As a result, I had used one guide for airports, one for a model and one for exporting from Blender. None of them were wrong in their own right, but I was trying to put them together and getting in a mess.

Can you export from GMax to Wavefront .OBJ files?

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I've made some progress today. Part of the problem I had was that some of the original textures were an odd size. This must have happened years ago when I was pratting about with them, but the short answer is the compiler (Build button) doesn't like them... at all and it causes all sorts of problems. The plus side seems to be that it can take textures in jpg or png as long as their dimensions are divisible by 2.

The next issue I have, is that, 6 years ago, I thought it would be a could idea to give the inside of my buildings a colour. It turns out that when these are imported into Blender, its a very bad idea. So I'm going to have to go back to SketchUp Make and re do some of the models... only the most difficult ones obviously, The control Tower, Fire Station, Offices 8) So that could take a while.

I've also finally got my head around the folder structure and also why you need to run Build twice.
2020-08-29.jpg
2020-08-29.jpg (91.91 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
2020-08-29 (4).jpg
2020-08-29 (4).jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
2020-08-29 (3).jpg
2020-08-29 (3).jpg (109.51 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
2020-08-29 (2).jpg
2020-08-29 (2).jpg (101.54 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Looks good to me :agree:
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Need to figure out how to cover some of the tracks they've added up with grass George. And TBH, the models are rubbish by todays standards, but its better than it was and its such a significant airfield. Looking through all of the photos I'd accumulated and I've realised how many more building I had to do.

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Nice job Ben. I haven't looked into scenery placement yet as I've been too busy banging my head against a wall trying to get my animations to work. :wall:
Apart from the initial problems, is it fairly easy to place objects? There's a few areas i want to enhance at some point.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It’s relatively easy once you manage to piece all the different bits of info together. Just out with the girls atm, but I’m going to type up some notes this afternoon which might help people.

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

GHD wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 00:49
Looks good to me :agree:
Hi George,

I've been playing with your Redheugh bridge as a test to see if I can help workout the folder structure for you. When I export it from MCX as an OBJ (WaveFront) file, it seems to change the axis. So when I import it into Blender to export it to the new MSFS format, its pointing up (and the textures are wrong - but I think that's because the axis is wrong).

Can you export from GMax directly to Wavefront (OBJ) file type? I think its something with MCX as when I export one of my SketchUp models directly from SketchUp Make to WaveFront, it imports fine....
Annotation 2020-08-29 134933.jpg
Annotation 2020-08-29 134933.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

ImageImageImage