First Project Problems

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FelixFFDS
Meteor
Meteor

Post by FelixFFDS »

tekman wrote:I've read somewhere that the parts pre process for aircraft in FSDS aren't used in FS2004 though from trying this using ver 2 I found that it does. However this doesn't solve the issues of mine in the previous post.
FSDS 2.24 supports pre-processes for aircraft, and these are recognized and seen in FS2004. FSDS2.24 models are created for the FS2002 SDK.

FSDS3 does not support pre-processes, since it was built to the FS2004 SDKs. The decision was taken to create the model using Microsoft's makemdl.exe, and not a proprietary converter, since it would have to be redesigned every time Microsoft reengineered the model format.

Since Microsoft has established the direct x file to makemdl.exe path, I understand Abacus decided to follow that route, and drop backward support for earlier FS versions.

There are XML workaraounds for the pre-processes (at least, for most of them)
Felix/FFDS

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

pre-processes

Post by tekman »

Cheers Felix,
think I'm getting myself a bit confused with this, though what you've said has straightened the pre- process facility in my mind so at least I should be able to follow what goes with what now, thank you. I remember when I first started out in computers about 15 years ago, what a weird and complicated scene it appeared to be, now of course it's mostly second nature to me though there's always something fresh to learn. Same goes with this modelling lark, they can only get better!

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Tekman

you don't need a pre process.

Just make the lights the child of the gear leg.

Parent part box "l_gear_upper"

Regards
Rick :wink:

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by tekman »

Mr Piper, many thanks once more, I kinda did it the way you suggested with a few minor alterations and now the Landing light animation works well.
Ideally though As stated in my previous post I would like to be able to activate the landing light animation in the same manner that the Lockheed Vega has by either pressing the L key for all lights or the proper key combo ctrl + L.
However, the way it works for now is acceptable and all I have to get working properly now are the trailing edge flap animation. That in itself isn't an issue but the axis rotation is still causing some confusion.
I may require some assistance from some top notch painters out there please as I would like to present my aircraft as best as I can. So if anyone is interested, please contact me via email direct
Many thanks

regards

Tek

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Tekman

Many apologies for not catching up with your original post..you know how it is: life, the universe and everything :k:

Re: GQ engine housings and cowlings in FSDS..if you haven't already sorted it out then send me a PM :wink:

ATB,

Derek :smile:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

GQ

Post by tekman »

Thanks Derek, have done so

Cheers

Tek

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

Any way I can merge the eggpit of my Optica into that little funnel thing?

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Project announcement

Post by tekman »

:smile:
After much deliberation and convincing I've decided to pop up a few shots of my Miles Marathon project in the Gallery, bear in mind it's work progress and I haven't fixed a release date yet. Hope you like. :worried:

tekman

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Error

Post by tekman »

:redface:
Sorry folks my mistake I thought I could post pictures on the board, shoulda read the small print.
I don't have anywhere I can post sorry.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

You can post pics, you just need to host them first.
Try imageshack if you need a host.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.