First Project Problems

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by tekman »

:think: Been a bit quiet lately regarding my Marathon project purely because I've been on holiday and had a few issues with one of the models. Still have an issue with my BEA scheme especially concerning the nose graphic curvature.
Weird way of putting it I know, but this is how it is - I can't seem to get the underside of the bmp to wrap properly on the underside of the nose.
Probably simple to sort and that's most likely the reason I'm having this issue. Simple things I tend to miss sometimes until that moment of eureka strikes.
My apologies to anyone who was expecting this release sooner, I promise you I am doing my very best to get this out but it will be beta tested soon I hope.
regards

Peter

FelixFFDS
Meteor
Meteor

Post by FelixFFDS »

Depending on how much of the "nose" is having a problem, you may want to split the "nose" polygons into separate parts - top bottom and sides, and texture them separately, rather than texture as a whole.

Alternatively, if the nose is (hopefully) to be one color (or at least, no fancy striping), you can spilt the "problem" area from the rest of the front fuselage and use a wrapped texture.
Felix/FFDS

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by tekman »

to tell you the truth Felix it does have lines on top it's a BEA scheme. It's merely the way the scheme curves under the nose finishing of partly on the nosewheel undercarriage doors that I'm having issue with. Admittedly I'm only using side views for templates and the thought of splitting off the nose into seperate parts concerns me somewhat. Mind you nothing ventured eh? :smile:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Tekman

What you are describing is a general problem and the reason a lot of liveries can't be painted properly.

You may have to compromise.

The BEA one in a nuisance as it has white pinstripes on top of the nose curving under and on the side of the nose area as well.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

nose scheme

Post by tekman »

I had a look at Rick Piper's viscount but that a black nose so I checked out his Viking and that seems fine to me. I feel that a compromise on the BEA scheme would be a great shame as it does look rather attractive on the Marathon.
I'm learning various graphic techniques everyday but it takes time to get everything right and I do want to get it right. A paint job can either make or break a model, but no-one is great when they first try this.
Advice is always key to sorting these issues and I thank all that have helped me thus far on this forum as it only helps me to work harder at getting this right.

regards
Peter

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I've done that livery and you do have to compromise.

It should have BEA in white on the nose and the last two below that.

I suppose a decal can be added for that but it would have to be lined up with the pins.

Also the lines will try to spead as well and keeping them contstant is tricky.

I have no pics of BEA Marathons but this is the standard BEA nose.

It's more of an unavoidable model problem than a paint issue.

That is what I meant by a general problem.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by tekman »

Thank you Garry for explaining the finer details, I'm quite certain that will help sort this for me. I believe due to the fact that this was quite an early scheme that only the EA would actually be present on the nose though I'm not too bothered about that. However , a compromise may well be in order here and perhaps a little artistic licence applied.
Besides I haven't had any luck with anyone producing a photograph of G-ALUB showing this detail therefore I may have to fudge things a little.
Apart from the paint there is very little else thats preventing me from releasing this model now. Have a had a few issues with the model not appearing in Flightsim but thats only when I changed the exhausts or added more parts, which incidentally is still rather a mystery to me. Does anyone have any idea's as to why this happens please?
Hang on a mo, I just remembered I still haven't any pilots on board, that too prevents the model from displaying in the aircraft selection screen.
The 2D panel shows up ok once loaded but the plane is invisible.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Tekman

FSDS2 ?.

Any part that does not have a texture may be invisible on some PCs.

Don't call your Pilot parts "Pilot" crew_left crew_right works for me.

Make sure all the cockpit glass is last on the build list.
ie: select the glass then Cut & paste the part to put it at the end.

FSDS3 is not worried where the glass is in the build list but FSDS2 is.

Regards
Rick

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by tekman »

Hello Rick,
You raised some interesting points that I was not aware of and these will certainly be looked into. However I'm not sure that is the complete problem.
Simple really I compile the model which is textured and sure enough it shows up. Wasn't happy with the exhausts I created so I remodelled them and compiled the model. Model no longer displays.
Perhaps its the new part causing the problem. Nope it doesn't matter I can add a different part with the same results.... Go figure

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Marathon task

Post by tekman »

Hi all,
I know some people may have thought or perhaps hoped I'd fallen off the edge of the planet as my Marathon project has yet to materilise. :redface:
Truth is apart from a few technical issues with the pilot, I've been rather distracted of late and been a bit lazy. However the good news is that it will be up asap. I say asap because i'm off to South Africa for 3 weeks shortly to see my fiance. Upon return I hope to release all 3 versions together as a package.
My apologies to those who have been waiting for this, just to let you know it hasn't been cancelled and fingers crossed will be along soon.
Respect and regards to all who have contributed to this project you know who you are. :smile:

Peter