Re-painting Issue

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Re-painting Issue

Post by Chris558 »

Having mastered the DXT paint program, I find that when I have modified a certain colour scheme, for example if I think the original is not quite the right shade of colour, and I then look at my modified result in FS, it is somewhat blury - even the parts that I have not modified, such as lettering.

I admit I am only using the MS Paint program so far (I plan to get Paint shop-pro) But is this because the original was done in a different way or something :dunno:

igorski
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by igorski »

Make sure dxtbmp is not saving with mips enabled. The option is on the right hand side in the latest version.

(alternatively, use 'Imagetool' like I do)

If its still blurry, then its just FS and a funny little quirk. Try saving in dxt3 as reduced filesize seem to help reduce blurring.

However, beware that continually converting from normal (24/32bit) bmp, to dxt3 and back will really mess up your image, so consider working on a copy of the bmp and then saving that as the one that FS will actually use, and then converting that to dxt3... and I hope that made sence!!

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

Isn't that the purpose of the dxtbmp Send to Editor function? What is imagetool?

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Imagetool can be obtained from here:

http://www.projectopensky.com/files/ind ... resources/

Also some tutorials there.

"Send to editor" function in DXTBmp sends the current image to your editing program (eg Photoshop, if configured). Then you can send the revised bitmap back to DXTBmp.

DXTBmp is used to save it in a format that FS can understand.

On the right hand side of the DXTBmp screen there is a check box for MipMaps "Include when saving". Whether you include or not is a matter of opinion and tends to be dependent on your graphics card.

Overall consensus seems to be:

Nvidia = no mipmaps

ATI = include mipmaps

But if the textures are blurry, check to see which is being used.

Ian