Basler BT-67 project

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Basler BT-67 project

Post by britishtourer »

Well I know it's not British, but I love it!

I'm making a panel and the FDE's for a model that Vixus is going to make. The only problem is:

1. I don't know how to make a panel
2. I don't know how to make FDE's

So as you can see, this is my first undertaking of a project!!!

Can anyone guide me to some tutorials,etc?

Thank you!
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi BT

Sites like Simviation and Avsim are full of tutorial links and sometime just googling gets results.

Perhaps you might try there. Some of the tutorials actually take you through something from start to finish, not perhasps anything great but a start and something to show for it.

They are often written my guys that have tried, hit problems and then write about it to help others rather than a manufacturer trying to push his product.

Good luck

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

BT..

I'll leave FD's as they're a black art to me but for panels.. you really need a program like FS Panel Design from Abacuspub.com or FSPanel Studio from Flight1.com, both of which are payware I'm afraid. Alternatively, try and get hold of CfgEdit (try the big sites) which is the original, freeware version of FSPanel Studio. It's not overly keen on XML but it's free and will give you an idea of what to expect if you go for FSPS :wink:

If you are considering writing your own gauges (eg, making them from scratch) there are only two paths you can go down. First, get hold of the SDK for 2004 (this is not an easy read but essential if you want to grasp the rudiments of XML) and/or dive into C++. You'll find it easier if to begin with, you get hold of one of the progs I mentioned in the first para and have a play with the default gauges. Also, open a panel.cfg (from something not too complicated) and study what you see. You'll find it much easier to understand either FS Panel Design or FS Panel Studio if you have a basic idea of a panel.cfg's structure.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Thanks very much for your help! Now, I'll have to start practising.

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

Mess around with the default Cessna panel. It's good fun! :D

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Didn't one of the big Aviation mags have a piece about the Basler conversions recently?

AndyG

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

Hi BT,

Re the FDE, I would start with the default DC-3 and patch in some new engines and props from an appropriate turboprop. Bear in mind you have to modify the aircraft.cfg file and the .air file.

If you get really lost, give me a shout.

Regards,

Brian

FelixFFDS
Meteor
Meteor

Post by FelixFFDS »

I believe that Air International (Key Publications) recently showcased the Baslers. Some of them are coming out with all-glass cockpits, so they barely resemble a C-47/DC-3 anymore!

For basic to advanced XML gauge making how-tos, Nick Pike's site FS2X.com.

To get an accurate representation, the VC modeller and 2D panel maker have to coordinate their efforts.
Felix/FFDS

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

If anyone has any photos or drawings other than those on the Basler webpage, I'd be very pleased to have them.