Air Brakes

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Air Brakes

Post by T6flyer »

Can anyone give me any information on Boulton Paul Balliol Airbrakes?

All I have is a copy of the Pilots Note's in which there is a simple diagram in which they are shown in their closed position, flush with the wing. I know that they were pneumatic, but did they split into upper and lower sections, or just into a vertical position?

Best wishes,

Martin

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

I have the book 'Boulton Paul Aircraft Since 1915' by Alec Brew and all I can find in there is a short descriptive text referring to the improvements made to the T2 (Merlin powered) Balliol that seems to answer your question. It reads:

'The dive brakes were were also changed significantly, more substantial units being fitted, which extended hydraulically both above and below the wing. Above the wing they were of heavy slatted design and below they were solid and could be operated at any speed allowing controlled descents of up to 5000ft/min.'

Hope this helps you a bit more...sadly there was no illustration to show the brakes in this book.

Regards :wink:

Bridon Bear

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Bridon Bear wrote:Hope this helps you a bit more...sadly there was no illustration to show the brakes in this book.

Bridon Bear
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Least we now know they split into two, I just wasnt that sure over the whole matter.

Martin

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Either I'm experiencing deja vu, or there was a very similar topic on Key Publishing forum the other day, together with a photograph of the airbrakes on an aircraft in a museum... might be worth searching their forum for it :think:

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

TobyVickers wrote:Either I'm experiencing deja vu, or there was a very similar topic on Key Publishing forum the other day, together with a photograph of the airbrakes on an aircraft in a museum... might be worth searching their forum for it :think:
Ummm...well......I have to admit....that was my doing too. Thought would ask here first as people here of course would be more adept to answering such questions, but now having checked the Key Publishing forum, what do I find but some kind gentleman has provided me with a few photos of the real thing ie the Cosford Sea Balliol.

Again thanks for everyone's help....much appreciated as per usual.

Best wishes,

Martin