aligning cannon effects on a model

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

aligning cannon effects on a model

Post by nazca_steve »

Hello all,

a friend of mine, also a user on here (Hobby) put me onto simulated cannon fire effects for FS2004 models recently. The big issue for me though is aligning the effect for the correct part of the model, which in this case is a Canberra gun pack (belly mounted).

I have this set up under [smokesystem] in the cfg file, like this:

smoke.0=-2.00, 5.00, 5.80, dsb_cannon.fx

I based the alignment on Bill Holker's PR.9 flare effects, which emit from the rear portion of the bomb bay like so:

smoke.1=-2.00, -11.00, 5.80, fx_flare
smoke.2=-2.00, -11.00, -5.80, fx_flare

I assumed I could jerry rig the gun pack cannon fire in the same way, but it seems to emit more from the starboard wing, just inside of where the engine sits in the wing. As I am a newbie at editing cfg files, maybe someone could help me out here with where and how to align it. Also, if I wanted to create four of these in close horizontal alignment (to replicate the 4x Hispano cannons), how would I edit the code accordingly?

Please tell me what sections of data you would need from the B(I).8 cfg file to figure this out and I will happily supply them.

Thanks in advance to any developers who can help,

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Steve,

I think I see your problem: the [EFFECTS] & [LIGHTS] sections use X,Y,Z cooordinates, but the [SMOKESYSTEM] section requires them to be re-ordered Z,X,Y.

This is one of MS's 'why did they DO that?' issues, but that's probably why you're seeing the effect displaced, if one is an effect or light and the other is a smokesystem input.

BTW, the numbers are distances (in ft) from the 'flightsim reference position' defined earlier in the .cfg file: usually the 1/4 - chord, centreline position. To be honest, the best way to adjust is to make a small change and reload to see where the effect shows up, then repeat until you're satisfied.

Yes, they should be able to be closely grouped: with one line for each gun, just change the 'Y' coordinate to change lateral position for each, and a little change in 'X' or 'Z' for any fore-and-aft or vertical shift.

Cheers,

Kevin

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

Cheers Kevin, I suspected it was the XYZ coords, but did not know about the bizaare reversal. Thanks for that, and I'll try out some adjustments soon but I bet it is going to take some tweaking. :roll:

Steve

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Hi all,

I have also been trying to place these effects with not too much success regarding the up/down placing.

The code I have entered is: -

smoke.0= 30.5, 17.6, -4.0, dsb_cannon.fx

In trials I found the second figures alter the fore/aft placing and the last the span. This leaves only the first set of figures for the up/down.

You will see from my 30.5, I went for overkill as nothing appears to happen - still remains at the same height. :dunno:

Did you have any luck Steve?

Graham

RAF_Pegasus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by RAF_Pegasus »

S! Gents

The 'smokesystem' presents another of "MS's 'why did they DO that?' issues". It appears not to support negative values ie below the datum point, as would be required for the belly gun pod.
This positioning could be achieved using the 'lights' system, but this tends not to be convenient when you want to taxi to runway at night, and the pilots of other aircraft don't like cannon shell filling the air. :lol:

So best compromise would appear to be the 'smokesystem', but accept that it can't be truly aligned to the gun pod.

FYI , here is my set up, you could use whatever 'fx' you fancy.
[smokesystem]
//(feet from datum) vertical, longitudinal, lateral,
smoke.0 = 3.31, -10.0, -30.5, fx_contrails
smoke.1 = 3.31, -10.0, 30.5, fx_contrails
smoke.2= 0.00, 4.00, 1.50, fx_tornado_gun_flash
smoke.3= 0.00, 4.00, 0.60, fx_tornado_gun_flash
smoke.4= 0.00, 4.00, -1.50, fx_tornado_gun_flash
smoke.5= 0.00, 4.00, -0.60, fx_tornado_gun_flash
smoke.6= 0.00, 4.00, 0.00, fx_tornado_gun_smoke

full size image here

Regards
John
Like all humans, my brain is composed of two halves, however ...
The left side has nothing right with it, and the right side has nothing left in it.

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

That is lovely John, looks like you've sussed it out. I just could not figure it out, even with help from Paul Foster, who supplied me the exact coords down to the gun inserts themselves! But now we know why thanks to John's 'no negative below datum point' explanation (cheers for that).

I shall certainly inplement those coords of yours John, but where did you get that tornado gun flash fx from?It looks like it features ground strikes too which the dsb cannon fx I was using does not. Very nice indeed and love the screenshot. Where was that taken BTW, looks desert-ish and would come close to the Tarhuna range shoot-up I was after... :wink:

We should get someone to develop a proper Tarhuna range and get some good screenies of Cans shooting it up...now there's a thought!

RAF_Pegasus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by RAF_Pegasus »

S! nazca_steve

In answer to your two questions -

Cannon Effects
The ones in the screen-shot above came from the Lago Tornado, fx_tornado_gun_flash.fx and fx_tornado_gun_smoke.fx
Equally those that came with the Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire fx_jfgun01.fx and fx_jfgun01p.fx would work well.
Another I have is fx_RCB_Cannon.fx, but can't for the life of me remember where it came from.

There is a cannon effect by Rob Barendregt 'rcbsc-12.zip' available from Avsim, but haven't tried it, and onother by Ickie at The SimOuthouse 'ib_cannon.zip'.

Scenery
MCD Modern Military Scenery by Michael Carr.
Based on current U.S. operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. Applies equally well fur current RAF deployment.
This scenery covers two areas of current operations and airforce deployment -
Iraq: Muthena (Z15M) and rescue scenes at other locations around Bagdad
Afghanistan: Kandahar (OAKN) and two other LZ's

Available from:-
The Sim-Outhouse
Add-On Name: MCD Modern Military Scenery
File Type: Flight Simulator 2004 (Scenery)
Zip Name: mcdmil.zip
File Size: 8.33 Meg
Upload Date: 2006-05-19 21:26:58
Uploaded By: MCDesigns

or -
Avsim
Filename: mcdmil.zip
Added: 21st May 2006
Author: MCDesigns 2006
Size: 8.33 Meg

Hope this helps.

Regards
John
Like all humans, my brain is composed of two halves, however ...
The left side has nothing right with it, and the right side has nothing left in it.

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

Lovely, thanks a lot for all of that John. I got my dsb cannon rigged up in the meantime and produced a satisfying burst of four cannons, but these other effects should work out much better. That scenery looks nice too, will have to try out soon. Love that desert Tornado skin too.

Steve

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Aligning cannon effects on a model

Post by hobby »

I have found away of imitating the 20mm cannon on the Canberra B(I)8 with the guns correctly positioned and aligned for the belly gunpack.

I did this by using the FS2004 file by Rob Barendregt rcbsc-12.zip for Spitfire cannon and carefully adjusting the positions of the effect in the acft.cfg file and adding the necessary lines to the panel.cfg of the B(I)8.
When fitted the effect uses Shift+F4 to fire the guns and when correctly applied the all four cannon can be seen to fire, cannon shells are expelled and smoke from the firing guns is to be seen trailing the aircraft. The guns also have an excellent sound when fired. These cannon were made in the famous John Wayne Armament Company's factory in Hollywood and they never run out of ammunition.

By using the [Lights] section of the aircraft cfg it is possible to position the gunfire effect anywhere on a model including, as you will see, at a level negative to the aircraft reference point.

I have the necessary information, including the above text mods and am willing to send that information to anyone who is interested.

Regular visitors to this Forum will know that I have aproblem, still under investigation by the computer wizards of cbfsim, in successfully transferring my screenshots from photobucket to the Forum Gallery - so no screenshots at present. Fortunately I emailed all the data to nazca steve who has thoroughly tested the effect on his Canberra B(I)8 and who has produced some excellent screenshots which he has promised to display on this site later, possibly later today.

I have also successfully added this effect to all my Canberra B57B bombers which carried the cannon in wing positions outboard of the engines. When available I intend to add this cannon effect to a Hawker Seahawk but it could now be adapted to a Hornet, Vampire, Venom or Hunter and in 2+2 form to a Canadair Sabre installation.

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

Many thanks to Hobby for persuing this and making it work so well. As he said, I gave the setup a thorough treatment (although have yet to take it to a range) and they worked beautifully. While Hobby correctly mentions the guns can be triggered via Shift-F4, you can also re-assign the Shift-F4 command to your joystick trigger with repeat set to max setting, so that when you squeeze the trigger, you get a nice continuous stream of fire (Hollywood ammo loads indeed :lol: ).

I would highly recommend any interested users take the time to rig your gun-birds up this way as it is a nice treat. Here are some shots using 88 Sqn and 12 Sqn SAAF Mark 8s: