What to make next?

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Which airfield would you most like to see released?

Poll ended at 15 Jun 2006, 16:19

Hatfield 1993 (all-new version)
5%
Brooklands 1970ish (+ updated Wisley)
36%
Southampton 1992 transitional
5%
Southampton 1950s/60s grass runways
No votes
Southampton 1930s (so you can play "Mutt Summers"!)
No votes
Something else (e.g. Hamble, Dunsfold, Thurleigh or Guernsey)
27%
Own suggestion (please post below)
27%

Total votes: 22

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Toby

Use this as the resolution is about 2 times better than Google Earth.

http://local.live.com

Regards
Rick :wink:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Thanks Rick, thats great, its got much higher res version of the getmapping pics.. hadnt checked that one in a while, when I first saw it, all the photos were lower res than Google.... maybe Big Bill has more money to spend on it than Google do? :lol:

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

despite the fact i would be happy seeing any of the above, I would like to place a request for an airfield that is always in use, and very popula with visitors - Duxford.

Authough there is a version of this kicking about, its not that good, and the moment night falls it becomes invisible. I beleve that UK2000 has a half decent version, but a new version (including the plans for the development upgrade) would be nice to see.

Failing that, i vote for any of the more recent stuff listed above (1993 Southampton etc)
Image Image
Yes...and... I Like my Boeings.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

I know of 3 different Duxford sceneries all of very good quality.

Toby you made a big mistake of the last choice as nobody on this forum is ever easy.

if you give an option for something different you will spend years getting varied answers but you won't ever get the answer you wanted.

Regards
Rick :wink:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yup totally agree Rick... some very vaired and one or two slightly bizarre requests. I think Duxford is already very well covered. I mainly focus on things that dont exist anymore, many civil or manufacturing related. What I probably should have done was to split out Hamble, Guernsey, Dunsfold etc out as separate ones to vote for. Dont forget also that Mr Vegas wished to re-cast his vote for Brooklands, which looks like it will be next anyways :smile:

As far as information goes, I have enough to do a reasonable Brooklands (which as some may have seen I have already started). I have LOTS of information on Hatfield and theres a very detailed new version of that slowly in the works and right at the moment I am finishing Moreton Valence (mini-video to appear shortly!).

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

Rick Piper wrote:I know of 3 different Duxford sceneries all of very good quality.
Would you mind pointing me in the direction then, as it would be much appreciated. (the only one i am aware of is dux2_4.zip.)

Actually i saw a payware one a while back, but never looked into it furthur.

Well, if duxfords off the list... Southampton gets my vote :smile:
Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

You could try Iain's one, Haven't tried it myself, but his edinburgh and prestwick are exceelent, as is the payware scotflight

Doxford ....
http://www.igallacher.freeserve.co.uk/index-page3.html
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Thats the one I have, dont think I could do better and until such point that I felt I was in position where I could do better, I wont be making one :wink:

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

Ben Watson wrote:You could try Iain's one, Haven't tried it myself, but his edinburgh and prestwick are exceelent, as is the payware scotflight
Thats the one i do indeed have installed. Unfortunately no night textures are included, and when night falls it becomes impossible to fly around. The Ground textures also look very ot of place in the winter, but this is a common problem with all scenerys, and seasonal textureas are only just being implimented.

I wasnt aware of his site though, so thanks for that.
Image Image

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

The trouble is, for my soton scenery for example, there are 117 textures, most of which were hand drawn by one means or another. Unlike aircraft repainting, there are no texture maps, paint kits or even three views to work off quite often and in my case, no purposely taken photographs. To then make convincing night and seasonal textures after that is another task. Considering that grass here is generally green most of the year - except in high summer when its brown - I dont see much point for having seasonal ground textures. Trees I have recently introduced, but then I received complaints from people (like myself) using VFR where its permanently summer and wintry trees look slightly out of place. Cant win :dunno: .

The possibility for using seasonal texturesin scenery design has existed since the year dot I'd imagine. Similarly night textures were 'possible' even in FS5/FS98 times by using "glow at night" colours from the upper end of the R8 paint palette. So arguably we are guilty as charged on that count :lol: