A pretty girl.....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

A pretty girl.....

Post by Airspeed »

A pretty girl is like a melody.
An ugly man is like a threnody.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: A pretty girl.....

Post by TobyV »

I wonder how many people (like me) had to look "threnody" up in the dictionary to get that one? :$

Still over on another thread, someone said they needed to look up words to understand the three laws of thermodynamics. Isn't it clear that an isentropic process is a reversible adiabatic process? :lol:

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

TobyV wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 20:20
I wonder how many people (like me) had to look "threnody" up in the dictionary to get that one? :$
Google is your friend :lol:
Dale
Image Image Image

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Re the three laws of Thermodynamics, they are more simply stated as -
0 - There is a game
1 - You can't win
2 - You can't even break even
3 - You can't ever quit the game :help:

Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Molyned wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 21:00
0 - There is a game
1 - You can't win
Seem to remember that from university. First year thermodynamics was taught in a lecture theatre that protruded out from the main engineering building and was supported by (as rumour had it) two "unnecessary" columns that served to reassure people that it was safe. It seemed to be hermetically sealed and wonderfully warm and in desperation that some people should actually pass the module, the lecturer had rotated and scaled his printed notes by 141% onto landscape A4 compared to previous years, leaving each of us with a 3 or 4 inch thick binder by the early New year. The night before the exam a girl came round the hall of residence giving out free cans of Red Bull - possibly the only time in my life when I have drunk it. I read the notes like "Johnny number five" from the film "Short Circuit" ("more input!" if anyone knows that scene?) The next day, the first question of the exam - worth 25% - was a series of "true or false" statements. They were truly desperate for someone to pass! :$

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

They were truly desperate for someone to pass!
And did you ?? :rock:
Physical Chemistry was my least favourite section. :(
Cheers
Dave (Moly)

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Molyned wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 22:01
They were truly desperate for someone to pass!
And did you ?? :rock:
I think I did just about. I remember joking to a friend at the time that whatever job I did in the future, ought to avoid thermodynamics, so I would design can openers :lol: I design steam turbines now :worried:

There were actually much more difficult subjects like [non-linear] dynamics, control theory and some branches of fluid mechanics.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

0 - There is a game
1 - You can't win
Seem to remember that from university. First year thermodynamics was taught in a lecture theatre that protruded out from the main engineering building and was supported by (as rumour had it) two "unnecessary" columns that served to reassure people that it was safe. It seemed to be hermetically sealed and wonderfully warm and in desperation that some people should actually pass the module, the lecturer had rotated and scaled his printed notes by 141% onto landscape A4 compared to previous years, leaving each of us with a 3 or 4 inch thick binder by the early New year. The night before the exam a girl came round the hall of residence giving out free cans of Red Bull - possibly the only time in my life when I have drunk it. I read the notes like "Johnny number five" from the film "Short Circuit" ("more input!" if anyone knows that scene?) The next day, the first question of the exam - worth 25% - was a series of "true or false" statements. They were truly desperate for someone to pass! :$
There were actually much more difficult subjects like [non-linear] dynamics, control theory and some branches of fluid mechanics.
STOP IT.............................. STOP IT NOW!!! just too much for me brain to take in! :wall: :hide: :help:

I am even more confused than when I started reading this thread!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I know, I realised today, you click a thread entitled "A pretty girl" and by the second post you're being confronted with thermodynamics. Engineers, eh, probably why I was single for so long :lol:

fs10inator
Meteor
Meteor

Post by fs10inator »

TobyV wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 21:40
...thermodynamics.
I guess the thread should be renamed to "A hot girl" then...

Fine, I'll see myself out for this.