Cardington under threat

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Cardington under threat

Post by Trev Clark »

I am sure they would love to build a new housing estate there too..............
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070724/ ... 349ed.html
ATB Trev

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Cardington under threat

Post by Hot_Charlie »

calypsos wrote:I am sure they would love to build a new housing estate there too..............
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070724/ ... 349ed.html
They already are on the rest of the site aren't they?

In an annual report published on Tuesday, English Heritage said repairs to the 812ft-long (247.5 metres) structure would cost five million pounds more than the value of the refurbished building.
So what exactly were they wanting to sell them for, flats? What a rediculous statement. Value for what exactly? Their value is historic, and essntially being unique in the UK, priceless.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

The thought of those sheds being torn down makes me sick to my stomach. :crying: Here's a little history for those who'd like to learn more about Cardington.

http://www.aht.ndirect.co.uk/sheds/Cardington.htm

Brian

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

English Heritage seem to have very little knowledge about the meaning of the second half of their own title!

What do they exist for if they just give up when they're needed?

Those sheds are just about the only bits left to remind people just what the big rigids were all about. Unless you actualy go there and see them, the sheer size of an airship is difficult to comprehend.

At Elvington they have a 1/72 scale model of the R100 hanging in the roof, above a similar scale Wellington sitting on a shelf. The size of the R100 just BOGGLES the mind!

One day I'll finish my FSDS model of the R100, if that isn't Classic British I don't what is....... :wink:
Regards
Kit

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:shock:

Now there's as surprise Kit

An FSDS R-100 that would be something else and a fine subject :smile: .

Any wip screenies or shouldn't I ask :worried:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Actually Kit, English Heritage have a very good understanding of their full title, and do a lot of hard work with very limited resources. Their grant from central government has been frozen for many years, so they have to work within the budget provided by that and from their 'commercial' enterprises.

It is all very well to say, as HC did, "So what exactly were they wanting to sell them for, flats? What a ridiculous statement. Value for what exactly? Their value is historic, and essentially being unique in the UK, priceless.", but if EH were to pour their resources into these sorts of projects they would not have the funding for equally valuable and deserving buildings. In an ideal world that would not be the case, and they would be restored because of their historic significance, but hey! :dunno: Incidentally, my understanding is that the Cardington sheds are pretty much unique in Europe, let alone the UK.

This press release was to publicise their latest "Buildings at Risk" survey, and is intended to raise public awareness - something it appears to have done here, at the very least! :wink: This is the 8th such survey, and has achieved some notable successes over the years; nearly half of the buildings in the first survey in 1999 have now been saved!

English Heritage are not 'giving up', they are simply taking the fight to another arena. I repeat the comments I have made before about the trustworthiness of the british media and press, and their ability to distort a story. The full story can be found on the English Heritage website (http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/serv ... bDoc.11491) and is well worth reading.

And yes, I am a member of English Heritage. If my £40 a year can help with the restoration of some of these important sites (and give me some enjoyable days out into the bargain) I consider that money well spent! :smile:

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

Garry and Andy,

Screenies? Once you've seen one airship hull you've seen them all really, but I suppose the R100 is more distinctive than most with its big 'Flats' on the hull. I'll see if I can throw something together.....

Re EH, I surely did not grasp the full significance here, and misread their position entirely, sorry about that. As you say Andy, the media will distort things to their ends, and the truth is always a victim in that situation.
Regards
Kit

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Kit

I was thinking of the Gondolas. for detail :lol: :lol:

But just a general shot would do......no matter if you can't yet, just curious :smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."